C.Diff recurrence

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Noellee
Brand New Poster

C.Diff recurrence

Postby Noellee » Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 am

Hi I am a 61 year old female and have recently spent 2 separate weeks in Hospital diagnosed with C.Diff (initially suspected Ulcerative Colitis). I am not sure how it got the C.Diff the 1st time, whether ABs or contracted in Hospital? The 1st time I was treated with Vanco which seemed to work after a few days but after I few weeks the chronic watery and sometimes bloody D returned and I was re-admitted. An overnight stool test showed that I had a recurrence. My GI changed the treatment to Fidaxomicin after a day back on Vanco when the bms were at 16 per day. After 4.5 days things improved and now I am just a tad concerned that my bowel has not worked since the evening of the 1st May? It this a problem? I must also mention that I did not have any dire side effects, the only noticeable one is that I have lost my appetite and am therefore losing weight. My GI has advised that "heaven forbid" I have another recurrence he would do the FMT. He did also caution that each recurrence increases the risk of another.
Two more questions:
Does C.diff result in any long term damage to the colon?
Once the AB course is complete should I take probiotics or any vitamins?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: C.Diff recurrence

Postby AllisS » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

Hi Noellee, welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please review our guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page.

When you say your bowel hasn't worked, I'm assuming you mean there's been no bowel movement. A few days wouldn't be cause for alarm, but if there's no change after today you should call your doctor so that he can advise you.

Re: your other questions, C. diff doesn't typically damage the colon. Only in the very small percentage of the most severe cases would this be a concern. As for probiotics, many people on this site, including me, take them, as it's widely thought they may have benefit. That said, scientific studies of their efficacy or of which types/what doses are most helpful continue to be lacking. One probiotic, Florastor, does seem to lessen the chances of recurrence, per some reports, in people who are hospitalized. Be aware that probiotics can cause GI symptoms; if you decide to take them, introduce them slowly. There is no evidence that vitamins are of any use in preventing C. diff recurrence.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C.Diff recurrence

Postby beth22 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:06 am

Although as Allison said, vitamins do not prevent c difficile, it would be a good idea to get a blood test to check if you have deficiencies. Between the c difficile D and an altered diet, many become deficient in certain vitamins. For me it was vitamin D and A and I was also on the lower end of B12. B6, folate and iron are also some that people have been low on. I found that when my vitamin D was normal again, my bms were more normal as well.

You could introduce Florastor even while on antibiotics, as it is a yeast and will not be killed off by the medication. The bacterial strains might still be beneficial, like VSL#3 or others like it, but if you opt for one of those then space it between the medication. I know that Dificid is taken twice a day, so you could take the probiotics in the middle of the day between doses.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”