Question on recurrances

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Babs62
Brand New Poster

Question on recurrances

Postby Babs62 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:51 pm

I am a 55 year old female diagnosed with c diff in March. Did one round of metronidazole, then about 7 days later, I had more problems. Next course of treatment was Vancomycin (sp?) for 10 days. I seemed fine after that until a week ago. Doctor wanted another stool sample and it came back negative for C Diff. Now, it's been three days of diarrhea, cramping, blood in the stool, etc. etc. My question: Is is possible to have a negative test result, and a week later, have a positive? (Since it's Sunday, the only way to get tested would be to go to the ER)

roy
Administrator

Re: Question on recurrances

Postby roy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:57 pm

It's the nature of the disease that makes testing to see if its gone so unreliable.
Dormant spores are not detected by any test so if they germinate after the sample is taken you relapse and Drs mistakenly think it can't be due to c.diff.
Your symptoms sound like a typical relapse, most Drs would treat you without waiting days for a test result.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I agree with Roy. It does sound like a relapse. I used to test and it would be negative and a couple of days later, it would be positive. This was in the early days of my c diff - only EIA tests were available then.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm

looking at your other post you finished Vanco around 14th April.
If your Dr ordered a test within 10 days of that it's typical for it not to be accurate (no time for the spores to germinate and multiply enough to cause symptoms or a positive test).
Your also now at the typical relapse time (15 days) after meds are finished.
See your Dr.

Babs62
Brand New Poster

Postby Babs62 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks for the replies.... Went to ER last night, tested negative again. Blood and pus in stool. Cramping like crazy. I am not a happy camper. Guess I will call my primary doc today, but with no insurance, this is getting ridiculous.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck!
Ask to be treated on symptoms alone.
Do you know what type of test was done?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”