New to all this...help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Gaconch
New User

New to all this...help

Postby Gaconch » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:06 pm

I have recently been diagnosed after getting a Total knee replacement 9 weeks ago. 4 weeks ago I ended up in the hospital with Colitis and was given IV antibiotics. It thechicken or the egg situation. Not sure if I already had C diff or the antibiotics then caused it because even though I was having explosive D continuously they did not test me. I am now on Vanco and Florastor and I hope it works. My question is to get my teeth cleaned which I do every 6 months I will now have to take an antibiotic before because of the prosthesis in my knee. I’m freaking out that I will relapse every 6 months. What am I to do?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: New to all this...help

Postby AllisS » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Welcome to the site. Please take a look at the guidelines for new posters, first entry on intro page, when you have a chance.

I'm very familiar with the controversy about being told to take an antibiotic before every dental cleaning (I have to have cleanings three times/year) after joint replacement. I had total hip replacement a year and a half ago and did a lot of research on this topic beforehand, because having had C. diff a few years prior I thought I'd rather continue with a painful hip than to take that kind of risk with repeated doses of powerful antibiotics "for lifetime." The good news is that recently the American Dental Association revised its guidelines and no longer recommends that antibiotics "must" be taken preventively for routine dental procedures such as tooth cleanings. Many, perhaps most, dentists are now respecting the patient's individual wishes regarding antibiotic use after joint replacement. The less-good news is that the orthopedic-surgery specialty is lagging behind; most ortho surgeons, mine included, continue to issue dire warnings about failing to take the antibiotics prior to dental cleanings. I think the ortho surgeons are going to have to come around before long because the risk:benefit ratio for this "preventive" use of antibiotics doesn't favor their use in this situation.

Here is a link to an article that discusses that latest ADA guidelines:
https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/or ... rophylaxis

Though no one can say with 100% certainty that there is zero risk to people with artificial joints who have dental procedures (some of which are obviously more invasive than others), infectious-disease doctors have pointed out that the bacteria found in the mouth are not the same as those that have been cultured in the very small percentage of people who develop an infection around the hip or knee prosthesis.

It's up to you whether to take the antibiotic before each cleaning. I've had at least four cleanings since my hip surgery and haven't taken the antibiotic, with no ill effect so far. If the dentist or hygienist says they won't do the cleaning without the antibiotic and you don't want to take it, look around for another dentist, because, per what I wrote above, an increasing number of dentists are no longer in the must-take-an-antibiotic-prior-to-tooth-cleanings camp. Tell your dentist/hygienist that, given your C. diff history, you are at higher-than-average risk from the antibiotic. My dentist now understands and respects this decision, though just a few years ago he felt otherwise.

Hope this helps.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”