Quercetin?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbo112
Contributor

Quercetin?

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 pm

So I’ve had some kind of upper respiratory thing since Thursday afternoon. Not sure if it’s allergies or a sinus infection as I usually get both this time of year. Temp is under control with Tylenol. It started with an itchy scratchy throat, both dry and runny nose, mild sinus pressure behind the eyes, mild itchy watery eyes, and a mild sinus headache.

I bought some Quercetin capsules by Life Extensions about a month or so ago but never really bothered using em much. I took one late Thursday night, and one before I went to work on Friday.

Everything seemed relatively ok. My stomach has been cramping on and off, and giving me rounds of nausea on and off but I’m not sure if that was due to inflammation from drinking last weekend, post infectious ibs recovery, both, or a relaspe. The sharp pains have subsided immensely, and bms have gone back to pretty much standard except for additional bm. (Was having 3, now having a fourth “mini” bm). I do have mild on and off cramping still, but not as intense as it was Sunday-Tuesday.

I have been getting false alarms too where I feel like I’ll have to go, get to a toilet and be fine. It’s not an urgency thing, it’s just “ok let’s just get this out” I’ll get to a toilet, and then...nothing. Won’t even feel like I’ll have to go. Weird.

Today I woke up around 9. My stomach felt fine and I was actually happy. But my itchy scratchy throat was back and wanted to sleep for another hour since I didn’t get much the night before. I took one Benadryl and a Quercetin capsule together with a mucinex. Then I also added a 1000 mg vitamin c capsule (nature made brand). As I was falling back to sleep my stomach felt crampy, and I went to the bathroom. Perfectly Normal bm. All fine and well. Went back to sleep.

But then I woke up again at 11. This time the cramping was more intense. Rushed to the toilet and had one profuse watery bm. A few hours later I felt I had to go again. It was grainy and clear colored little pieces.

Has anyone here had Quercetin and have this reaction before? Maybe it was in combo with the vitamin c?

I’m obviously worried about this “recovery” at this point. It’s no secret. I thought being 28 I would definitely be more like my old self again by week 7. Like I said these on and off cramps I’ve been having out of nowhere since week 5. I did go HEAVY on drinking last Saturday and paid for it dearly up until Wednesday when things finally started to calm back down. Maybe that set me back. But also, unlike last time I’m taking VSL probiotics twice a day and florastor once a day, and I feel like it may be “masking” a potential relapse. Is that possible?

EDIT to add: what really scares me is this is the exact same sequence of events that gave me c diff the first time. Upper respiratory crap (though it was influenza b the first time); stools going bizerk, then came food intolerances after that. Maybe it was just a coincidence but it definitely gives me PTSD.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Quercetin?

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 am

As you noted yourself, you're taking a lot of different medicines in combination, which is never a good idea without medical supervision. Just because they are OTC doesn't mean they are harmless. They may well explain some of your symptoms.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:06 am

Agree with others - you are mixing a lot of meds and supplements. Vit C can cause diarrhea.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:10 am

What about probiotics “masking” relapses? Can they firm up stool that would other wise be, not firm? Or is it once you have c diff again, it wouldn’t matter?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:48 am

Your abusing your gut with inapropriate drink and food.
Your taking multiple OTC meds and probably don't need any of them.
It seems you look for medication to "cure" the slightest cough or sniffle instead of letting your body do it's job and recover from inconvenient minor ailments on it's own.
Some of your questions are bordering ridiculous and are repetitive.
NOTHING masks c.diff D.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:20 am

I made mistakes sure. I thought my stomach was doing better and was able to handle some foods and drinks better than it was apparently capable of. What am I supposed to do? Eat toast and bland for the rest of my days? I felt better, thought maybe mistakenly things were looking up, took some risks and am paying for it, I guess. Yes I know I’m nervous, sound somewhat crazy; but when my stomach started taking a downturn and feels like it’s been beaten a whole week after one night of drinking, it does make me worried.

I have had bad seasonal allergies man you have no idea. Wednesday night was probably one of the worst it’s been in recent memory. And usually this time of year it immediately turns into Terrible sinus infections that I can’t take anti biotics for if need be anymore. Maybe I overdid it a bit, but that’s trial and error.

Yeah maybe it borders on ridiculous for you, but damn medical professionals I’ve talked to don’t seem to know much about how to handle the aftermath of a disease I’ve never even heard of two months ago. Then some docs give me conflicting information, and then I still have these lingering side effects from levaquin that have a lot of mimicking symptoms of both ibs and c diff causing insane amount of overlap.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am

Responding to the sinus Infection/allergies... have you tried saline nasal rinses?

I ended up with a nasty sinus infection a few days after my FMT. I am a frequent flier of sinus infections (had sinus surgery 2 years ago which helped, but didn’t solve).

There was no way I was going to add antibiotics to my system so soon, so used nasal rinses for almost 3 weeks and now I’m back to health.

I learned to love nasal rinses after my sinus surgery. They take down the swelling in your sinuses, which is what makes you feel so stuffed up.

Now I know I can heal beasts of sinus infections (and allergies) with saline rinse and a lot of patience.

Hope this helps.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 am

People who have seasonal allergies know that they have seasonal allergies. Most have been tested and know that they need to start taking their allergy medicine by March 1st (here where I am in NY). If you are one of these people, then you have no choice but to take allergy medicine. My daughter is allergic to every tree imaginable, and there is no way she could get through a season without her meds. But, it does not come on as a surprise to us either. I say that because you seem surprised by it. Saline rinses can be very helpful. If you caught a sore throat, cold thing, then 90% of the time, it's viral. Even sinus infections are mostly viral. I can say that when I was in early recovery, I avoided any meds, supplements, etc in order to aid my healing gut. The only thing I took were probiotics. And if your gut and BMs are bothering you intensely, then you probably would want to eat bland, like a BRAT diet. As you feel better, you should add foods back slowly to see how it goes. But if it's allergies as you say and the symptoms are that bad, then take allergy meds and unfortunately, you have to grin and bear any gut issues they may cause. Vitamin C can cause gut issues, so if you know it's allergies, you may want to ease up on that.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:02 am

Introducing slowly means ONE new thing every 3 or 4 days and only a small amount, maybe just one or two mouthfulls.
Then if it's ok try more.
Alcohol is inviting problems.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Anyone know if allergies and/or sinus infections can lead to problems in the gut? Feeling on and off nausea and generally like crap. Bms are looser as well but still formed...

Edit: just saw lisa’s Post. Still curious as to why my gut would be affected though. My bms are kinda freaking me out at this point.

Edit #2: I’m only really surprised at the abrupt intensity it came on as. But maybe I’m just over thinking that aspect. Wondering if the Quercetin is causing looser bms as that’s the only recent thing I added. I didn’t take it yesterday during the day, but then took it later at night, and now BOOM looser bms again. I guess I’ll see what happens. But god this sucks, ha

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

I guess I’ll simplify this. Can allergies/sinus infection and the post nasal drip that comes with it cause d? Anybody relate?

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Tue May 01, 2018 7:27 pm

I haven't had one alcoholic drink in almost three years because nothing is worth going through what I did if I can possibly help it. I'm currently waiting on test results now.
I understand that you're 28, young and feel this is taking away from you living like you used to. It does. I'm sorry. Until there is a vaccine to cure us all, I'd live more on the safe side. Alcohol lowers immunity for colds and sinus problems and was not recommended by my GI for helping your good gut microbes at all.

Also, I have found that most doctors are horrible at understanding c diff. I just about died from it. You need to be in charge and make the best choices you can. Just my thoughts.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm

May I ask how old you are and what your symptoms/experience were? PM if it’s tmi?

So I can probably never indulge in alcohol ever again? Even socially?

I have been having one loose but formed and two d the last two days. I’ve been reading that post nasal drip can cause loose and d, but I don’t know if that’s MY case or even how accurate that it. The on and off nausea and fatigue makes it maddening to figure out if it’s post nasal, levaquin pro longed side effects, ibs, a combo, or a relapse. I can’t shake it. Feeling on and off nausea and fatigue is what did me in last time. BUT I’m not feeling constant localized pain in my left upper ab (by the navel) like last time. On and off mild cramping here and there, but that’s it. Last time it was just in one spot that always felt tender. Only positive thing I can think of. Would a relapse be almost the same exact symptoms? Ughh

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 pm

All I was saying is for me personally, I try to do what I think is beneficial for me based on my experience and advuce. I was hospitalized 5 times. Age doesn't matter. I've read many stories on here of very healthy athletes, younger being brought to their knees by this terrible bug. Many do engage in a drink here and there. It's all individual decisions. Good Luck.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Alcohol was definitely too soon and I got way too ahead of myself too quick.

Funny enough, the BRAT diet messes with my head though. Without getting too TMI, when I eat something not so clean like chicken fingers my BMs are more normal. When I eat lighter, like toast, they’re looser. Wouldn’t/shouldn’t it be the opppsite? For the life of me I can’t remember if that’s how I’ve always been or not.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”