Im Relapsing After Three Years

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mindy
Regular User

Im Relapsing After Three Years

Postby Mindy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:54 pm

I had a very severe case of c diff three years ago in March, hospitalized 5 times, lost 35 pounds in 10 weeks. Had fmt in June 2015. It's been a long road but just in the past few months felt myself again. I've survived a gastro bug a year and a half out and a pretty bad cold. I have not taken any antibiotics. About a week ago I started feeling nauseous for about 4 days in a row. Then I started feeling intestinal cramps had very loose stool for a couple of days, then yesterday barley made it home and had one very bad episode of D. Today I can't hardly go at all, but what did appear had mucus, which I've not had since my c diff, not even with the stomach bug. I did not present the first time with tons of diarrhea, mostly mucus and blood. Only on relapse did I have watery D multiple times. Flagyl made me so constipated I didn't go for 5 days, which I believe held it inside and made me extremely I'll.
Can you relapse out of the blue without anibiitics?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: Im Relapsing After Three Years

Postby Lid49 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi,
Regarding a relapse with no antibiotic after such a long period it is unlikely, go to Er or to urgent care and ask for a cdiff test and other bacterial infection. I know haw you fell and how scared you are. But you have to know the problem.
Hope you feel better, please let us know.
Lidia.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 pm

It would be highly unusual. I get episodes of D now post C. diff. I’ve tested 3 times all have been negative (knock on wood).

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 am

There are other bacteria that can give you M and B. Campylobacter is one. I had it post c diff. I would ask your doctor to test you for everything - regular stool culture as well as c diff. There are also some very bad intestinal viruses going around. I've had a few students out with that and today my doctor told me he had been out for almost a week with one. I hope you feel better soon.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 am

Wouldn’t be a relapse this far out. You were cured. If anything it would be a reinfection but without antibiotics it’s unlikely. You should get tested but for various things not just c diff.

Scout21
New User

Postby Scout21 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Any update?

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 am

Test results just came back after about 6 days and I'm negative for everything they tested for. I'm feeling better now anyway. Just thought I'd give an update.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri May 04, 2018 11:39 am

Mindy, that's WONDERFUL!

This is probably a good time to remind ourselves that there are all sorts of stomach viruses out there, and there are many ways to get food poisoning, and for anyone to be that far out of c diff without having used any antibiotics, the chance of it being c diff again was EXTREMELY SMALL.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 pm

I just have everyone on this board in my heart. This can be so hard to go through, and I know the fear of relapse and antibiotic use is huge. I just pray a vaccine or cure us found soon for everyone.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 06, 2018 12:52 am

Good news, Mindy. Congrats.

sjvan70
New User

Postby sjvan70 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 pm

I was on vancomycin that did not cure me. Then when I started the second round of vanco within 6 days I was so much worse. I kept telling my dr I can take that med any longer she prescribed DIFICID. My insurance denied it. Cost of $4000 for 20 pills. After my dr sent a PA to insurance it got denied. Then she sent a MEDICAL NECESSARY letter to them. I got it. My cost was $80. If I hadn’t been approved I was going to charge the med and get it. This medicine is amazing. After 2 days on it I’m much better. I’m new to this site and haven’t figured out how to post
I’d love for everyone to know about this miracle medicine but I don’t know how to spread the word.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 am

Sjvan Welcome to the site

This thread you have written on is months old, you would need to click on " NEW TOPIC" to start a new thread. Sounds like you have started Dificid and are doing much better. If you read through the site, it has helped many battle this illness including myself.

Hoping things continue to improve for you as you complete it

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”