Extreme Temperature Drop after Starting Flagyl

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jennak
Brand New Poster

Extreme Temperature Drop after Starting Flagyl

Postby jennak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:04 am

Hi there! I'm a 19 year old female and I recently found myself in the ER being diagnosed with C.Diff and being sent home with flagyl. That night, I started flagyl and my body temperature dropped to 95.6˚F (35.3˚C) and I was freezing. My back and abdomen started killing me far worse than they had before and I had my most terrible bowel movement yet. My father had to lie me on a heating pad and layer me in clothes to heat me back up to normal temperature by morning. I'm now feeling much better thankfully as the flagyl is doing it's job but I'm still confused about the temperature drop. Is anyone able to explain to me why my body temp dropped so low? Thanks!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Extreme Temperature Drop after Starting Flagyl

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:25 am

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum about the site history and especially the rules of posting.

We are a support site - not a medical site. Pls call your doc re your reaction to Flagyl.

A heating pad is useful in making you feel better. Curl up in a fetal position on your left side and put the pad(turned on low - auto shut off) on your abdomen.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 am

It's probably not the flagyl that caused that but if your temp falls that low your dad MUST call an ambulance and get you blue lighted to hospital.
That temperature is dangerously close to Hypothermia!

Flagyl is no longer a first line treatment for c.diff.
Your prescribing Dr may not be up to date with treatment guidlines.

jennak
Brand New Poster

Postby jennak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for the replies!

@Bobbie, Sorry, I read the introductory forums but I read some of the past posts and some medical questions so I assumed medical questions on the questions about C.Diff thread where okay. It won't happen again!

@roy, yeah at the time I was very concerned and thought about asking him to call an ambulance but didn't want to overreact. I guess we were lucky I got better by the morning. And yeah, I'll ask my doc about flagyl! Thanks!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 am

I remember shivering uncontrollably and freezing with c-diff. I did not have a low body temp though, nor did I have a fever, which at the time I thought was strange. Flagyl can also be awful to take, with many side effects. Hopefully you will be switched to Vanco or Dificid. I think the c-diff infection itself can cause the shivering and cold feeling, but you should never get a temp that low. Hopefully your doctor gets you on the right path now and you start to feel better.

Lisa

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 am

I also had low body temp during C. diff colitis (96) not sure why it happened. Take care! Glad you are going to speak to your doctor.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 am

I have had temps of around 96 when I was recovering from illnesses, usually viruses. I have read that it should not go below 96 though and if it hapens again, call your doctor immediately or go to ER.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:08 am

jennak,
Not to worry. We give new posters leeway.

- Your posts can be as long as you like, and you can post as often as you wish for the first 30 days you are a member. After that period, make your posts concise and limit them to one a day. You can ask multiple questions in the post There is no limit on posts to support others. You can post again in Chat Forum, but be reasonable about the number of posts.

C diff is a weird disease with weird symptoms. If it happens again, contact your doc.

Hope you are feeling better.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”