Hot mess since I had C-Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sammi79
Contributor

Hot mess since I had C-Diff

Postby sammi79 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:40 am

I haven't been on this site in 2 years, as I have been C-Diff free. I feel like I have been a hot mess since having it and I can't take control of my insides. I was confirmed CD free in June 2016 after an 8 week taper. I went back to normal pretty quickly and was thanking my lucky stars. I would have occasion bouts of IBS, found myself to be dairy sensitive, gassy and slight abdominal pains a few times a month, but nothing that lingers. March 2017 I was hit with gallbladder attacks and had my gallbladder removed July 2017. I have been dealing with those fun BMs but as long as I follow a healthy diet, I really am fine. In January of 2018 I was put on Zithro for an upper respiratory infection and the end of February I was put on Cipro for a UTI (resistant to non-offending C-Diff anti-biotics). Between the bouts of anti-biotics I went to the GI because regular D had started and I was freaking. Stool was tested and was negative and the Dr. scheduled a colonoscopy. Well, within a week, symptoms went away and my Dr. said that he didn't feel the colonoscopy was necessary at that point so we cancelled. When I was prescribed the Cipro in Feb, I took Florastor right along with it and never had a problem with my BM. I was elated!!!!!! But then 2 weeks ago I started having HORRIBLE upper abdominal cramping. It is all on my upper left side and occasionally goes around to my back. The pain was so intense that it landed me in the ER last week and I had an endoscopy done for suspected ulcers. Everything was clear visually and the Dr. isn't expecting anything abnormal from the biopsies. Now I am having D again or it is just not regular. I called the Dr. again this morning because my abdominal pain/burning is still persisting and to let him know the D is back. He wants to schedule a colonoscopy again and keep it no matter what this time.

I am FREAKING out. Of course my brain goes right to colon cancer and I have now broken down twice this morning. I don't remember the last time I have been so scared. Should I request another test for C-Diff? BMs are not always D, some a formed, some are not, some are normal size, some are much thinner but I am going several (10) times a day. The abdominal pain is what it really scaring me because so far, no one can find a reason for it.

Bennet
Regular User

Re: Hot mess since I had C-Diff

Postby Bennet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:53 pm

If it was me, I would definitely want them to test for C diff. Seems like that would be the first thing they would do before the colonoscopy.
~Bennet

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 pm

I called back today and asked again. Orders were sent to the lab so I can test at my will now. If it isn't that, then on to the next step. I just feel physically and mentally worn down. If it is CD again, I don't remember the pain being up so high. This is right under my left rib and down my left side and back. It's horrible.

Bennet
Regular User

Postby Bennet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Hope you get some relief soon.
~Bennet

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Glad you are testing my cdiff involved terrible right flank pain. Sending prayers your way.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:29 am

I got c diff after taking Cipro, but it did not hit me until 6 or 7 weeks later and the pain was just where you described - under the left rib going down. Bms were D, then not, then again. I would test for sure, but don't be too quick to treat. If you do treat, ask about DIficid.

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I dropped my package off to the lab yesterday morning. Yesterday was a bad day with D, minimal pain. Today no pain, no D but I just don't feel well physically. Like something is off but I'm not sure what. Just taking it day by day until I get some answers. Hoping to have results back tomorrow or Monday.

Beth22, I have not taken Dificid before. Last time I was treated with Flagyl for 14 days, which didn't work. Then Vanco for 10 days and that didn't work. So I was put on Vanco again with a taper and that worked! I know my Dr. mentioned a FMT if it does come back because this would be my 3rd episode in 7 years if it is it. Is Dificid the better option these days? I originally contracted it in the hospital when having my son.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:19 am

Dificid kills much less other bacteria than vanco and because of that people have fewer relapses when treated with it. It is best when you take it first, but it has worked for others after vanco failed. If I have an active case again, I will take that. Presently I test positive on PCR, but negative on EIA, so it is not considered an active case. I am considered a carrier. I have DIficid at home because I took it along with me when I traveled abroad, but didn't need it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”