Still have m 3 weeks post vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbo112
Contributor

Still have m 3 weeks post vanco

Postby Bobbo112 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi everyone. I’m 3 weeks post vanco as of today. Stools still a mixed bag, but no watery d 3 times a day for 3 days, so I doubt it’s c diff.

But should I still be having big clouds of m above a mushy/grainy pile of stool at this point? Is it common? I had formed, semi solid stools this morning. But this is the second time today now I’ve had m in my stool. Is that relatively common?

Abs also feel crampy. Feels like I’ve over exerted them doing a bunch of an exercises at the gym. (I haven’t). But the upper right ab facing towards the front feels a bit bruised when I press on it. And only when I press on it. It doesn’t really hurt at all just walking around or lying down, etc. There’s no apparent swelling or physical bruising. It may have been from trying really hard to pass a stool when I felt a bit backed up. Anybody ever hurt their ab like that before? Is it possible? Maybe just ibs?

Bobbo112
Contributor

Re: Still have m 3 weeks post vanco

Postby Bobbo112 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Also still feel constipated on and off. Stools usually range from normal to little formed pieces and then a third time grainy with a cloud of mucus. Just feels weird three weeks out.

But on another note, should it still smell a little funny too? I don’t smell anything from the toilet, but my nostrils do feel a little plugged up as I can’t really tell if there’s a strong odor coming from there even if I try. When I wipe I smell something smells almost like roast beef, but nothing I would call god awful. Maybe I’m just going insane.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:29 pm

I had inconsistent stools for months after finishing meds. Having a normal stool was like spotting a unicorn. It took me 8 months to go just one time per day. Even after that, I was dealing with bouts of IBS though. It is normal for stools to be off for a while. Many are left with post-infectious IBS. As long as you aren't having the persistent water D, you are most likely on the mend. My body felt quite sore for a long time. However, it wasn't one particular spot like yours, so maybe you did something to a muscle. I just felt achy all over, even to the touch.

-Lisa

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Lisa.

I called my gi and had an appointment with my regular physician today. Both say I might have over exerted my ab muscle trying to go, but I have an appointment with my gi next week.

Sorry to sound forward, and if you don’t mind my asking, how old are you and how long did you have c diff for? I’m 28.

Did you happen to feel any fatigue post c diff or during an ibs episode? My appetite feels back, but I feel constantly tired after doing my regular obligations and my stomach feels out of whack about three hours after every meal. Not nauseous, just “bleh” and a little upset. That’s when I’ll feel a bit more tired than usual.

Also wonder if I may be over using digestive enzymes. I take it before every major meal, but I’ll also use it for even say club crackers and some cranapple juice. All in all I’d say I’d use it 3 times a day on average.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:31 am

And dumb as this question should be, does the 3 day rule apply if it’s some solid stool with a cloud of m on top, or does it have to be pure flowing watery d and nothing but watery d for the 3 day rule to truly apply?

Basically if I’m getting anything remotely solidish or formed(is), I’m in the clear, c diff wise?

Anybody get steatorrhea when healing? Not sure if that’s what I got. Looks more like little soft pieces with an m cloud at its worst, but wondering if anybody’s got that on their journey towards healing.

So weird because right after vanco my stomach was feeling a lot better and my stools were normal. It’s been a mixed, concerning bag from day 4 on.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 am

I am 45 years old. I had c-diff back in Sept 2014. I was put on metronidazole (generic flagyl) as my first line of treatment and relapsed about 2 weeks later. I was reluctantly put back on the metro by my GI. However, this time it was not tolerable at all. It was making me sicker than the c-diff. She finally switched me to a two week course of vanco. That ultimately cured me. Even though I only relapsed once, my recovery was not smooth at all. I did not have an appetite for a long time. I suffered from terrible nausea, especially in the morning hours. I would wake up very early am with the urgency to go, and would go anywhere from 2-4 times every morning. Then I would feel pretty good the rest of the day. My BMs were always loose - never normal. But, I did not have the persistent watery D. If you are having some solid stool, then the 3 day rule doesn't apply. The rule of thumb that most users go by is watery D, more than 3 times per day for 3 days in a row with the urgency to go may warrant a dr visit for a possible relapse.

I suffered with IBS for a long time, although as time went on, the bouts got fewer and farther between. You can have mucus with IBS. I ate bland for quite some time. I always felt tired and runned down. I stayed away from any supplements such as vitamins until I knew my stomach could handle it. I took probiotics daily though. I took 1-VSL 3 and 1-Florastor daily, along with eating yogurts and drinking Kefir for a long time. I was able to handle the probiotics though. I actually still take 1 probiotic daily. My PCP suggested that I eat gluten free during my recovery as I felt so fatigued, achy and runned down. I gave it a try and within a few weeks, felt significantly better. Everybody is different, but this worked for me and aided in my recovery. I ate gluten free for well over a year. I have to say that my gut definitely changed after c-diff. I had a new normal. I was dealing with gut/IBS issues off and on probably up until the middle of last year. I actually went for a colonoscopy/endoscopy to rule out that nothing else was causing my issues. Everything was clear and I was diagnosed with Post-Infectious IBS. Knock on wood, I have not had a bout of IBS since those tests last year ironically. Unfortunately, you just have to give it time. You will see as the weeks go by that the good days will start to outnumber the bad ones. With time, c-diff will no longer be at the forefront of your life. The first 6 months in recovery is the hardest. Once you are past that, the anxiety of relapse will start to get much better.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 am

https://www.continence.org.au/data/imag ... _chart.gif

Yeah I go two-three times a day still, and my stools go from type 4-5-6 throughout the day usually. I wasn’t sure if having type 6 with mucus counted as diarrhea. Usually I’ll have almost a mushroom cloud of m with types 5-6 and it scared me. Rarely get type 7, surely not three times a day. Get type 1 sometimes when I get that constipated feeling. Pretty much never get types 2-3. Maybe once or twice, but that’s it.

When I was tested the first time, they tested a solid stool and diagnosed me with c diff. I demanded vanco for 14 days instead of flagyl because of the horror stories I’ve read about it and because of the horrors I’ve dealt with with levaquin in December.

What worried me was my stools being almost entirely normal right after the vanco treatment, and then it became a mixed bag. Then add the cramping and bruised like feeling in my abs adding to the anxiety. My gastro doc wants to just test me again, but I’m scared of a false positive test, especially with not having a type 7 stool, although I was having average stools in and out before I was diagnosed with c diff the first time making this even more confusing. I think they’re just tired of me calling in with questions lol.

I do have an appetite though.

Anyways, thank you for all your help! Hope your recovery goes no where but up!

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Having watery d 3 or more times total post c diff is common right? That necessarily wouldn’t be a “diff” sentence, would it? The rule is 3 times a day three days in a row, correct?

I’ve had watery d today, and watery d two days ago. But not more than once a day, and I was chewing some sugar free gum (for anxiety). I cut back, but maybe it’s still too much. Also taking mag and all that.

I’m having 2-3 bms a day, but not watery d (usually) That’s ok, right? I always had at least 2 a day usually.

Today for example I had mushy pile, but “solid”; then watery d, then broken pieces with some mucus on top the third time. Still having mild cramps in my abs.

Sorry if I’m annoying but the anxiety is killing me. Have a gastro appointment on Wednesday. Scared of a possible positive (or false positive) stool test :-/

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Is it still possible to have an upset stomach for no apparent rhyme or reason? Even if you’ve been eating bland and such? Wouldn’t say I feel nauseous but woke up with constipation and a pretty upset stomach with no appetite.

Felt it peak this morning. Again not nausea, just upset and mildly crampy.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 am

My opinion is that you are in recovery and not relapsing. Everything you say seems normal for most after finishing meds.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah I know. Recovering from this is maddening. Today I had a solid stool when I woke up and was so happy. Then immediately went again and had a mushy formed pile. Then went again and at first just had some former pieces with a mushroom cloud of mucus, then it immediately went to watery d. Mind you though, that was after I had my supplements of the day, including neuro mag, and gnc “super magnesium”. On an empty stomach too.

It just scares the lights out of me. I haven’t had watery d more than once a day every 2-3 days here and there, but just having it in general puts me in full on panic mode.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Sorry again for repeating myself, but watery d is pure liquid right? Like I have normalish stools usually once a day, but the other two are loose but somewhat formed broken pieced stools, and grainy stools (like sand) with mucus on top.

God I wish we could post pictures gross as it is lol.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 am

D is a stool that will take the shape of a container it's put into.
That is it will "flow" or "slump" to the sides of a dry potty and not stand there in all its glory!

Mucus is caused by inflammation, c.diff can cause it but so can a multitude of other things so it's not a good indication of a C.diff diagnosis.

Magnesium.
Think Milk of Magnesia!
The ancient white mixture that our parents made us drink if we were constipated or had an upset tummy and needed a clearout!
Magnesium has a laxative effect and the dose you take today will have an impact on your gut and the consistency of your BMs for up to 72 hours.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm

So then does the 3 day rule apply to having it three days in a roll, or three scattered ransoms days?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 pm

3 times a day for 3 days in a row so if for 72 hours you have D at least 9 times and no formed BMs it "might" indicate a relapse.
What your describing does not sound like anything to worry about.
If your symptoms get a lot worse ask again but PLEASE no more daily poop reports!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”