Bad reaction to Florastor/Saccharomyces Boulardii

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MikeDee
New User

Bad reaction to Florastor/Saccharomyces Boulardii

Postby MikeDee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 pm

My apologies for asking multiple questions but has anybody else on here had a bad reaction to Saccharomyces Boulardii. When I had C-Diff years ago I took it for a few months and as the pain lessened I stopped taking it. Whenever I had flares I would reach for it out of fear of a relapse. I’ve been going through some horrible GI stuff since last September and when it started I immediately grabbed the Florastor. I took a break when things seemed to calm down ever so slightly and when I was prescribed Xifaxan I went back on it. I’ve had terrible cramps, gas and loose stools and I’m wondering if this whole time it has been the SB.

Has anyone else had bad reactions to it that didn’t go away?

There’s very few reports of side effects which I always found a bit suspicious. Also does anyone know how long I should take it after the Xifaxan or is it even necessary?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bad reaction to Florastor/Saccharomyces Boulardii

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:08 am

Florastor and another brand of Sacc. Boulardii gives me tons of gas, bloating, cramping and looser stools. It also gives me a rash. I can't take it. However, Xifaxan kind of goes right through me too. If you are still on Xifaxan, it could be that. If you took the Xifaxan for SIBO, then probiotics are not recommended for people with SIBO. They don't tolerate them well in any case and doctors do not usually recommend. I take small doses of VSL#3 and do okay with it. Check with your doctor that prescribed the Xifaxan and see what he/she says.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”