C Diff in the small intestine

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MikeDee
New User

C Diff in the small intestine

Postby MikeDee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:44 pm

This may be a dumb question, but if someone had c diff confined to the small intestine it would still show up on a PCR test correct?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: C Diff in the small intestine

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:07 am

I am unsure how one would know where CDIFF was specifically. It is a spore so my thoughts are the PCR test is done off a stool sample which goes through the GI track. If it is active in the body AND making someone have symptoms it should be detected. With all tests there is always the chance of false positives or negative.
I often see people write on the site they have a"mild" case of CDIFF but I have no idea how that is determined and may be something they are being told by a physician. The PCR test is either positive or negative. Maybe they are going by the amount of D they have, but in that case one cannot know how many rounds of treatment it will take to get rid of it. I would have been considered a "Mild" case of only 4x in the am only. It took over 5 rounds and a year to get rid of, plus a very long recovery. Someone else may have a more detailed answer for you, if we have any Lab techs on here?
NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”