New Here

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Seahorse
New User

New Here

Postby Seahorse » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi all, freshly home from a 5 day hospital stay for dehydration and pancolitis, Dx with c diff was a shock. I had been on Augmentin for a sinus infection and thought I just got a tummy reaction....by the 4 th day of involuntary waterfalls flowing from my butt I knew this was not normal.

I’m a nurse and hubby is a Dr, so we elected to treat at home with OTC remedies, but nothing worked. By the 6 th day of WD I relented and went to the ER and was admitted. Very sick puppy.
Had IV flagyl and something else. Now on day 4 of Vanco. No appetite, easily nauseated. Totally wiped.

Questions: my stool was soft formed first thing this am , since then I had one loose and one WD again ...all in 3 hours. Is it possible to relapse already while on vanco?

Second, I stepped on the scale expecting to see weight loss. I’m up 5 lbs from before this started...how is this possible!

I have much to learn here and appreciate hearing from your experience.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: New Here

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:14 am

Hi and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

Usually by day 4 or 5 on vanco stools start to firm up. What dose are you on? Sometimes, although not often, 125mg dose is not enough. Some doctors start with 250mg if a person has a bad case or been hospitalized. Some people get looser stools on vanco. Are you taking probiotics? Those can also cause loose stools in some. I could not tolerate most probiotics when I first got c difficile. I had to try various before I found one that did not upset my GI tract and even then only could take part of a capsule.

If your symptoms continue, contact your GI. Were you also tested for other pathogens? Some people have had mixed infections - c diff along with something else. I assume since you were in the hospital, they must have tested for other things too.

Seahorse
New User

Postby Seahorse » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi Beth22
I’m on 125 of Vanco 4 Times a day and things have firmed up. No other organisms were identified during hospitalization. No probiotics. I’m actually feeling really well now that the abdominal pain is gone. I’m still mildly bloated but hope that will resolve quickly. Tolerating the low fat low residue diet well.

Am I nuts to try to travel? I’m booked on a river cruise in 11 days, 2 days after I finish the Vanco. I have a refill of Vanco to take with me if I should get WD again. I hate not to go, my Dr gave the ok but my family is opposed.....

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:20 am

Check with your Dr if you can use the extra vanco to do a taper dosing for the duration of your cruise.
Also check your travel insurance will still be valid (pre existing illness) if your ill.
Then go and enjoy yourself!

I like your description of c.diff D.
That's the best description of true c.diff as a disease that I have ever read!
I might keep a copy of that and refer new posters that have been diagnosed just because of test results to it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Glad you are doing better. Roy's suggestion is good about the taper. Or, just take the vanco along with you on the trip in case you relapse. I was taking vanco when I first got c diff with my first relapse and went to Cancun, Mexico. It did not stop me from enjoying myself.

Seahorse
New User

Postby Seahorse » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Thank you all...I’m going! Will talk to the Dr about taper. My husband and daughter are quite fearful....but I’m going to see the tulips in Amsterdam if I poop all the way there!

Seahorse
New User

Postby Seahorse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Did not go on the cruise, my husband developed issues. I think I would have been fine. Very limited dietand tapering Vanco. Stool soft formed. 3 x a day, thankfully no incontinence. Now I’m bothered by epigastric pain, stopped omeprazole when I was in hospital, taking Pepcid but I feel a knot just below my breast bone after I eat. Afraid reflux has irritated my esophagus.

Biggest problem is exhaustion. 2 weeks post hospitalization and I sleep 10 hours and want naps! When does this improve?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Check in with your GI, not sure if you have had an endoscopy but might be something to mention. I had this during CDIFF and post although I was on aciphex. Went off it finally, now had to go back on and plan to taper off. I did go in for an endoscopy but my issue was a bit complicated having vomiting with CDIFF for the year I had it, caused a hernia.
The exhaustion is something that is so individual, it took time for me to recover. It sounds like you are feeling Ok and doing well on the Vanco so hopefully once completed you will find yourself feeling stronger, especially if you are eating well!! Thats a great thing!! Sorry you missed your trip but hopefully you can reschedule when the tulips are blooming next year!

Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:15 am

That all sounds good!
Don't forget, you had a nasty infection in one of your body's largest organs, it takes time to recover!

I am going on that river cruise on 2nd May!
It's an easy journey by bus from here (UK)
I have also just found out that there's now a direct train from London to Amsterdam and it's less than a 4 hour journey!

I will let you know how the tulips look:-)

Seahorse
New User

Postby Seahorse » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:38 am

Roy

Have a wonderful time!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”