Pregnant with possible C Diff. So many questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ari629
Brand New Poster

Pregnant with possible C Diff. So many questions

Postby Ari629 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:19 am

Hi all,

I will try to explain my situation the best I can. I’m currently 31 weeks pregnant. For about a month and a half now I’ve had chronic diarrhea that’s more than usually watery. I also have been having bad stomach pain that comes and goes in waves throughout the day. Also been very nauseous, usually when the stomach pain starts. I’ve been going back and forth to my doctors for the past month. My first ER visit they said my band count in my blood was high, but they didn’t know why. They ended up prescribing me amoxicillin for 7 days. After I started the antibiotics I seem to have gotten worse. My doctor just had me submit a stool sample but I noticed that she did the fecal leukocyte test and not the cdiff toxin test. The Flt test came back negative
Also my band count has kept elevating its 23 currently.

My questions are do my symptoms sound like cdiff? I’ve had two children prior to this pregnancy and I know the pain I’m feeling is not contractions as they happen at different times and in different locations.

Also is the cdiff toxin test more accurate ? Is it possible I have cdiff with a negative leukocyte test? I’ve been doing so much reading online and I just want to feel better.

Thank you !

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pregnant with possible C Diff. So many questions

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:32 am

Hi Ari, welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please read the guidelines for all new posters on the intro page.

I'm baffled as to why an antibiotic would be prescribed for "high band count," but since this is a support site vs. a medical site perhaps there's a reason that escapes me. I'm not 100% certain what the standard test for C. diff is, but a few of the other moderators are familiar with this, and one of them will hopefully weigh in soon.

Your symptoms could very well be C. diff. Especially given the advanced state of your pregnancy, I'd suggest you ask your current doctors, whom I'm assuming are either GPs or OB/GYNs, to expedite a consult with a GI doctor, preferably one who specializes in C. diff, or an infectious disease doctor.

Best wishes for your recovery.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Re: Pregnant with possible C Diff. So many questions

Postby roy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:57 am

Go back to your Dr and simply ask them to test for c.diff!
Then you will know for sure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”