Controlling C Diff in the meantime?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
BenjiM
Brand New Poster

Controlling C Diff in the meantime?

Postby BenjiM » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Been sick for a month, feels like im getting worse. Went to the GI, he did an endoscopy and suspects C diff but I’m waiting on results for a stool sample to come back next week. I’m bed ridden, is there anything I can take in the meantime to control it before I get real treatment? I’m scared it will turn into sepsis shock.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Controlling C Diff in the meantime?

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Welcome to our site. When you have a chance, please read the guidelines for all new posters on the intro page.

Sorry that you're contending with illness for such a long period. You didn't mention why you're bedridden; C. diff doesn't generally confine people to that extent. You also didn't mention what your symptoms are; do they include diarrhea? The general picture for C. diff is five to six watery stools per day. Since endoscopy isn't a diagnostic test for C. diff, I'm assuming you have other symptoms (i.e., upper-GI) as well; is that correct?

It's very rare that people die from C. diff-related septic shock. Presumably, your GI dr would know if that was a potential risk in your case. If you were to develop uncontrollable diarrhea and/or a high fever and/or were severely dehydrated (you should be drinking plenty of fluids, BTW; Gatorade might be a good choice) you would need to go to the ER.

Since this isn't a medical site but rather a support site we're unable to dispense medical advice such as what specific measures you could take to control your symptoms. Again, it's unclear what symptoms you're referring to. If you mean you wish to control diarrhea, one thing you do NOT want to do is to take any type of anti-diarrheal medicine until C. diff has been ruled out, since that could be harmful. Meanwhile, following a simple, bland diet, such as the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce, toast -- may help you to feel better.

It will be easier for others on the site to weigh in if you are able to give a little more information about your symptoms.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Re: Controlling C Diff in the meantime?

Postby roy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:25 am

If you have symptoms of c.diff and it's getting worse (watery D several times a day) you should go to ER, they can test and get the result in 2 hours.
Also the result of your current test would have been available the same day as you submitted the sample.
Endoscopy has no value in diagnosing c.diff.

If you have been on antibiotics recently and now have classic symptoms of a C.diff overgrowth (watery D ) your Dr can prescribe meds before the result is obtained.
Typically that med would be flagyl but recently new guidlines state that Flagyl should not be used.
The med of choice is Vancomycin or Dificid.
You can view the latest guidlines here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20522

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”