Horrible abdominal pain after two years

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
allenb
Contributor

Horrible abdominal pain after two years

Postby allenb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:03 am

Like many people here, I think my journey will never end. Quickly, I've had cdiff for over two years, tested positive four times, had two fmt's, been on dificid and vanco numerous times and still have absolutely horrible pain in my lower left abdomen. I went to the er sunday because the pain was so bad I was shaking. I had tests and they said I do not have a cdiff infection, do not have diverticulitis, and my colon inflammation was minimal. And yet when I press on my abdomen it feels like I have been shot. I thought it might be from a disc in my thoracic region but am waiting to do an Mri. I thought it might be from percocet so just went on a pain patch but the doctors don't think that is it either. If anyone has any answer I will love you forever. Thanks. Larry

sophie
Regular Contributor

Re: Horrible abdominal pain after two years

Postby sophie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Larry; I'm sorry for the problems you're having. I have to ask you; how long have you been on Percocet? I will write more based on what you write back. If it's been a while you may have an unintentional addiction and that may be what's causing your continued pain. I have my personal story I can share but would like to wait for your response first.

allenb
Contributor

Postby allenb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:24 pm

I've been on percocet for three years, two to three pills a day. I've had six back surgeries and a neck surgery but still have bad leg and neck pain. I've talked to different pain doctors about this and they say it is not the cause of my abdominal pain because I don't have constipation and the pain is only in my lower left abdominal. I still think it may be related so am doing the butrans patch so I can get off the percocet. I'd love to hear your opinion. Thanks.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Allen,
Understand this is my opinion, based on my experience. I was hospitalized last April for c-diff and diverticulitus. (There's a lot more to the story but turns out I had undiagnosed hyperthyroidism that was found approx 6/7 months later. After being in the hospital for 5 days, I started having bad pain in my left side (and no, I didn't have any of the other problems your doctor said you could be having). I was sent to the neurologist, the urologist, the GI Doc (had a colonoscopy and upper GI scope), physical therapy, etc. etc. etc. No one could figure out where the pain was coming from but could tell I was in extreme pain. So what did they do to help me? Prescribed vicoden (another drug like percocet). They neglected to tell me that you shouldn't take it longer than 2 weeks; every doctor I had kept prescribing it. Now understand, I, like you (based on what you wrote), never abused the drug. I took 1 - 3 pills MAX a day, even though it said I could take 2 every 4 hours. I wasn't interested in doing this. I had a total thyroidectomy in September and still the pain continued and still was sent to as many doctors as my GP could think of. Anyhow in January (about 8 months after being hospitalized), all by myself, came to the thinking that maybe it was the Vicoden. Not even 1 of my doctors suggested that could be the case. I had done enough reading to make me wonder if what I had read was true, you don't have to abuse the meds to have built up a tolerance to it. Anyhow I told my GP I had made a decision to stop the med. She told me she was proud of me for taking the step and would help in any way she could. It was a painful couple weeks (withdrawal is hard), but guess what...the side pain stopped!!!! What I had read, i verified..the pain med had actually made the original pain APPEAR to still be there and continue hurting (even worse than when it started), even though that pain was probably long gone. So when I read your post, I had to write. I think you're on the right track. Tell your doctor you have decided to stop percocet and ask for his/her help to get through withdrawal (there are muscle relaxors, and other non-addictive meds to help you). Don't try and do it alone, it is a difficult process but when you come out the other side, you'll feel so much better.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi again Larry (sorry for calling you Allen),
BTW - I was in and out of emergency all through the 8 months when no one could figure out what was happening and i had MRI's, X'Rays, Ultraound, etc. Be your own advocate, do some research and make a decision that's best for you. I think the doctors have a bad time admitting they tried to help us but actually put us on a path where no one knew what the end result would be.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:29 pm

It's well documented that pain killers can cause gut pain.
Meds in patches also goes systemic so changing the delivery method might not change the effect.
At least c.diff has been ruled out.
Only a Dr can advise though.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 am

My mom had the same problem with pain meds. She wound up in the ER many times and it was due to the Vicodin (she also took Percocet at one time). She had to wean off the meds, but her pain was much better when she did. Now she is in a nursing home and has lots of contractures in hands, feet,etc. and they give her Neurontin which helps her, but she is 97 and has dementia.

I would talk to your doctor about those pain meds too as was suggested.

allenb
Contributor

Postby allenb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you all. It does not look good for me since my leg and neck pain is about an 8 of 10 on a daily basis. I have tried acupuncture, massage, chiropractors, etc, and the only things that makes it bearable is percocet. I know it's not good for the gi track but think there are other things, i.e. cdiff, that cause the abdominal pain. Maybe the pain patch will help. Thanks. Larry.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm

I know you posted this a few weeks ago but hopefully you’ve found a solution. If not I’d ask the dr about the possibility of it being an ulcer. I experience similar pains that feel better when I eat. Getting seen soon. As far as leg pain goes I only ever get that if I’m having issues with my lower back. I’ve had a torn annulus several times. Maybe some physical therapy will help. Weaning off the pain meds If they are causing rebound pains. Our body sometimes ends up relying on meds too much and let’s us suffer without them. My father in law had bad migraines and would always take heavy medicine for it. Eventually he weaned and less migraines. Worth asking the dr about.
Feel better!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”