Standard Recovery Back Pain or Something Else?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bocdrt
New User

Standard Recovery Back Pain or Something Else?

Postby bocdrt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi, not new here but new to posting!

I had c.diff in 2016 after some antibiotic rounds for pneumonia. I healed with one round of metro and that was the end of that.

Earlier this month I went to my doctor for persistent abdominal inflammation which was mostly pushing on my bladder (I thought I had a UTI), pain/fullness after eating, mild nausea and intense heartburn. Nothing like the symptoms I had in 2016 which were more like abdominal bloating and very regular BMs. Anyway, after a week I found out I had salmonella AND c.diff. She put me on a 5 day course of cipro for salmonella and a 10 day course of metro for c.diff.

Well, either the diseases progressed or the pills made it all worse. Nausea got worse, BMs went from being an non issue to how they used to be/look back in 2016, cramping, back pain, you know, the works. I finished cipro about 3 days ago and my last pill of metro last night.

My stomach does feel a little better (still some cramping here and there but I can eat more) and I don't really have nausea anymore, but the back and abdominal cramping/pain is driving me nuts. It's not so much the pain (although I can feel my whole digestive system is midly sore) but the anxiety is causing. I have this dull pain that comes in waves, at random, on my middle-right back. Just as I'm typing this I felt it again. It's like somebody's pushing or squeezing something in there and it lasts a second. It doesn't hurt bad, it's just freaking me out. It started yesterday morning.

For the record, I should add that when I visited the doctor to get tested for this they also did a full blood panel and everything came back great.

Of course I plan in visiting he doctor if the pain gets worse. But I wanted to check and see if anybody else has had any upper back pain like this and if it's something I should worry about.

Thank you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Standard Recovery Back Pain or Something Else?

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Some have complained of pain in the lower left quadrant of the abdomen but I don't recall a pain similar to yours.

We cannit give medical advice except see a doc if the pain continues or gets worse.

Let us know what happens. Good luck. Congrats on beating c diff.

We are all anxious. C diff is a difficult disease in many ways.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 am

Cipro can give a lot of nasty side effects, some of which are muscle and joint pain. It can last for quite a while after taking the medication. I would tell your doctor about it. Also, 3 days is not much time to take the metro after finishing Cipro. I got c diff from Cipro about 6 weeks after I took it. Ask the doctor if that is enough to take following Cipro.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 am

I had terrible right flank pain with cdiff, I am praying it clears up for you soon!!!

bocdrt
New User

Postby bocdrt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 am

beth22, yes I didn't even want to take Cipro because I didn't think my symptoms warranted it, but I got "yelled at" by my doctor ("people go to the hospital for this!"). I really love her, we have a good "working" relationship and she's a good listener, but sometimes she tends to overprescribe. I usually win the battle when asking for something milder, not this time.

Either way, I took metro for 10 days and cipro while I was on metro, but you're correct, the metro only extended 3 days past finishing the cipro. We shall see.

OCmama, thank you! It was better yesterday overall. I'm doing mild yoga following this YouTube channel I really like and it seems to be helping.

Thanks all!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”