NEW! PLEASE HELP!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbo112
Contributor

NEW! PLEASE HELP!

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi all. Let me try to start from the beginning.

In December 2017, a week before Christmas, I took a fluroquinolone anti biotic known as Levaquin. Little did I know that Levaquin can cause pro longed physical and mental side effects for months and months with new symptoms coming out of nowhere. I was 27 technically at the time. Turned 28 two months ago non January 12th. Happy birthday to me. Don’t know if it was that that did this to me, the tamiflu, the actual flu, something I caught at urgent care, or a combination.

My gi was fine for the following month and a half, and then my dad got the flu. Supposedly, he did not know what strain only that the doctor told him it was a mild case. I’m over their house often and the doctor recommended my mom and I go on Tamiflu for “preventative measures” for ten days. Neither one of us had the flu at this point, but supposedly taking it preventatively is a thing.

On day 6 of 10 I couldn’t take it anymore. The crap was making me so nauseous I quit taking it. Then I got flu like symptoms. Figures. Had diarrhea multiple times. Went to urgent care and got diagnosed with influenza b.

About two days into the flu my respiratory systems stopped, but all the sudden my stomach was having a hard time digesting food. I could hear and feel my stomach gurgle and bubble every time I ate something. I had localized pain just to the upper mid left above my belly button that felt like a bruise when I pressed down on it. I had on and off fatigue and nausea but never once vomited. Never had bloody diarrhea. Went maybe 2-3 times a day and that was it. Sometimes it’s come solidish, other times fluffy pieces, or other times straight liquid. It was a mixed bag. Even appetite was never completely gone.

Went to gastro and took a stool test. At this point I was actually starting to feel like my symptoms were letting up, I thought my symptoms were more due to the aftermath of the flu. But then they called and said I had c diff and put me on a 14 day round of vanco four times a day. Also took Walgreens brand saccharomyces Boulardii twice a day with it.

My stools were again a mixed bag but I’d always wake up farting excessively. Louder, longer, and harder than I ever knew a human being was capable of. Finished off the last of the vanco Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning (330 AM).

Immediately started taking VSL probiotics 2-3 times a day, along with the Walgreens probiotic. My stool at first seemed pretty solid. Brown. Just like God intened poop to be. But then late yesterday my poop started getting more fluffy looking. Then today I went a second time and it was pretty much light fluffy pieces with some liquid. Still brown.

Don’t know also if those can be from supplements. I’m taking a lot for my fluroquinolone toxicity. Magnesium, methyl b-12, one a day men’s, coq10, colostrum, the pro biotics, etc. Could that be part of it?

The first time I had a BM today my stool was looser, but still solidish. Saw undigested spaghetti in there. Then a little while ago had the diarrhea. I’m also farting and belching everything I eat. Even just an apple or banana. Also have excessive farting when I wake up in the morning.

Appetite is still a mixed bag. I feel like eating, but it makes me nervous and gives me anxiety. I started with home made chicken soup and saltines, had plain beef cutlets with mashed potatoes and gravy, worked my way up to pasta with tomato sauce, meatballs. Smacked on a few potato chips and pretzels, with bananas and apples in between. Usually have Ocean Spray Cranapple juice to drink, but also have fruit punch Gatorade and Poland Sprin bottle water. That’s it. That’s all I’ve drank in the last two and a half weeks.

Is having diarrhea post c diff normal? Especially if I’ve already had regular stools just yesterday? Excessive gas? Am I relapsing? Can anyone please give me some guidance? I’m so scared and these last three months have been the worst of my life.

roy
Administrator

Re: NEW! PLEASE HELP!

Postby roy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Sounds like your on a LOT of supplements and magnesium is a laxative!
Supplement wise more is not always best.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

My first thoughts were that sounds like alot of supplements...I agree with Roy. Some people can go over the top with them. I had CIPRO Poisoning and did not take any. It took a long time to work though and I still have issues with my Achilles tendons and its been 5 years. The two Ortho's I saw did not recommend supplements but I did read alot about them.

It will take time to recover from CDIFF, just give it time. Often things do not go back to "normal" for awhile. You may have great days and then off days, that is typical. If you are having alot of issues, review with your GI. There are medications for Post IBS.
If you read through the site you will find it can take time to heal the gut, go easy on the diet

I hope you feel better soon!

NanciT

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm

NanciT wrote:
> Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new
> posters
>
> My first thoughts were that sounds like alot of supplements...I agree with
> Roy. Some people can go over the top with them. I had CIPRO Poisoning and
> did not take any. It took a long time to work though and I still have
> issues with my Achilles tendons and its been 5 years. The two Ortho's I
> saw did not recommend supplements but I did read alot about them.
>
> It will take time to recover from CDIFF, just give it time. Often things
> do not go back to "normal" for awhile. You may have great days
> and then off days, that is typical. If you are having alot of issues,
> review with your GI. There are medications for Post IBS.
> If you read through the site you will find it can take time to heal the
> gut, go easy on the diet
>
> I hope you feel better soon!
>
> NanciT
Hey thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know it diarrhea post c diff is somewhat common? Excessive gas and all that? Is it also normal to have some liquidy stools in between solidish ones? Just really freaked

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Honestly things can be "all over the place". If you have watery D for more than 3 days then I would call the GI. That does not mean it's back but it's always best to check with your GI.
I stayed on a bland diet and added things slowly.
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:08 am

Abnormal stool , excessive gas , belching are common after Cdiff ,it doesn't mean that you are relapsing , it just means that your gut is going to what we call a normal "recovery". There are treatments that can help you reduce gas that your doctor can prescribe , also 1-2 cups of fennel tea can help you with that gas.
To help your gut heal faster you should eat a bland diet and the spaghetti and meatballs meal was not bland at all and beef and gravy can also be hard to digest. See CDI - diet and nutrition.
Colostrum is good for gut healing and mostly well tolerated but Magnesium has laxative effect and will bother your tummy.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm

What about post vanco body inflammation? Is that normal? Woke up this morning with inflamed like pain in my legs, knees, arms, and fingers? Any ideas?

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 pm

georgina wrote:
> Abnormal stool , excessive gas , belching are common after Cdiff ,it
> doesn't mean that you are relapsing , it just means that your gut is going
> to what we call a normal "recovery". There are treatments that
> can help you reduce gas that your doctor can prescribe , also 1-2 cups of
> fennel tea can help you with that gas.
> To help your gut heal faster you should eat a bland diet and the spaghetti
> and meatballs meal was not bland at all and beef and gravy can also be hard
> to digest. See CDI - diet and nutrition.
> Colostrum is good for gut healing and mostly well tolerated but Magnesium
> has laxative effect and will bother your tummy.
Also I’m taking neuro mag by life extension because I’m suffering from fluroquinolone toxicity and my body was depleted of mag before this c diff happened. It’s supposed to cross the blood brain barrier and is better absorbed than say “nature made magnesium oxide”.

The diarrhea has since stopped and I’ve been having solider brown stools, although still mushy soft. At least they’re formed though.

You’re right though, I was self conscious from losing so much weight and have my pants not even fit me without falling down below my waist :(. Maybe it was too much too soon.

Also right before I had c diff and stomach issues in general, I had influenza b. Could there be a connection there? General physician says yes, gastro says unlikely. I don’t know, I didn’t really have any gi symptoms for almost two months post Levaquin, and it seems too coincidental I got c diff literally immediately after my upper respiratory problems subsided. Has that happened to anybody else here?

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 pm

So weird. Yesterday no diarrhea at all. Today two cases of solid, but soft stool, and now had two cases of diarrhea again. Pure liquid. Brown colored.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:26 am

Stool descriptions belong to TMI section.
If the WD doesn't subside and you start running to the bathroom several times it's time to think that a relapse is happening . If the D subsides and you start feeling better it is just a "bump in the road" of the recovery. Watch what you eat , as I said a bland diet is needed especially is early recovery.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 pm

I had influenza b in 2016 and landed up in the hospital. I had a lot of inflammation after and muscle pain. The tests for inflammation were positive, even liver enzymes were high. It finally all subsided, but 6 weeks later I did test positive for c diff, but did not treat as D was only a couple of days.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 am

So eight days post vanco, and I feel and hear a lot of gurgling and bubbling for the first time. Excess Gas was really bad today, probably more excessive than it’s been so far. No full blown d. Haven’t had it since Monday. Formed but soft first toilet trip, hint of mucus and grainy the second. Third same thing

Any insights?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 pm

If you get D, I would test. Otherwise, your body is trying to recover. Most people continue to take probiotics.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:42 am

Thought I had a mild case. Barely had D leading up for the diagnosis.just localized pain in upper left ab, and digestive issues.

Other question I’m taking Walgreens brand s boulardii and VSL # 3 both at the same time twice a day. Could that give me D? Can I take both? Or just one over the other?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 am

Either one of them could give you D. Sacc Boulardii gives me looser stools, but VSL#3 can do it too. If you want to know, stop one for a day or two and see what happens. Then switch and see if the other one bothers you.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”