THAT Bug

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
n0rs0n
New User

THAT Bug

Postby n0rs0n » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 am

I have a question - how do we get the bacteria that causes C Diff? Are we born with it and it's okay as long as all the other colon good bugs are there in residence in the correct quantity?

If this has already been asked and answered by an authority (which I ain't!) please give me the link.

Thanks
-neb

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: THAT Bug

Postby OCmama » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Infants guts are sterile when they are first born; they pick up most of their microbiome from vaginal, rectal skin exposure during a vaginal birth. Infants born via C-section have different microbiomes then babies born vaginally. As many as 80% of infants are colonized with C. diff; most babies pass it by the time they are around 1-2 years old. Babies usually do not develop clinical infection with C . diff (mine did). C. diff spores are everywhere, dirt, in deli meats, sandboxes, on grass, on lettuce... pretty much everywhere. So the chances are at some point C. diff spores have a good chance of making it into your gut. If your gut is healthy and has not been compromised (antibiotics, old age, young age, immuno-suppression) the C. diff spores should exist harmlessly and hopefully be “flushed” out of your system with your normal BMs. c. diff becomes a problem when the balance of your gut is thrown off balance allowing the C. diff to grow out of control. Hope that helps!

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 pm

It gets inside us by ingestion as OCMama explained (it’s transmitted through the fecal/oral route). That’s why it’s so important to keep your hands away from your face and washed before eating - particularly in a hospital, rehab facility, nursing home etc. type of setting where the pathogenic strains of c difficile can be easily spread. But just ingesting it isn’t always enough to cause symptoms (depending on the strain, a person’s general health and other factors). Typically it can remain in your gut as a part of your normal flora (kept in check by the good bacteria) until something comes along to disrupt that balance and knock down the good bacteria - such as taking an antibiotic. That’s what causes c diff to grow and produce the toxins which can make you ill.

n0rs0n
New User

Postby n0rs0n » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:42 am

thanx!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”