Mid Vanco Questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Megs717
New User

Mid Vanco Questions

Postby Megs717 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi everyone! So, I am currently on day 10 of Vanco after a pretty nasty relapse (not even sure it was a relapse, I think the Flagyl suppressed most of the symptoms, but I think the initial infection soldiered on) and I am feeling pretty good. Anyway, I was curious if anyone else got pains all about their stomach? It's never severe, but a biting/sharp pain... sometimes it's on the right side, sometimes it's on the left side. I know when I relapsed they did a CT scan (my white blood cells were 17,000+) and my colon walls were VERY irritated/hardening - but the doctor said he expected that w/a pretty bad case of C Diff. I find myself pretty confused as to what's normal healing, what's PI-IBS, etc... Some times I feel excellent, other times I feel "meh"

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Mid Vanco Questions

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm

First, always check in with your GI about pain. They need to be the ones to guide you, we can only share our own stories
I had pain mostly on the left side during the year I had CDIFF and following. Post IBS is an irritated bowel which many get after CDIFF, it can take some time to heal
I especially had pain during the months I was on DIficid and right after, I used a heating pad and kept a very bland diet slowly adding new foods.
Recovery takes time, go slow and complete the Vanco. I felt fairly good on Vanco but everyone is different.
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 am

It noty unusual to be left with all kinds of nasty symptoms after a Cdiff episode , even though treatment is successful and the infection is cured the colon remains sensitive and irritated. The pain can be really upsetting but it also can be controlled with medication . Ask your doctor about antispasmodic medication , it will really with the pain.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 am

Hi, as previously stated always report pain to your doctor. There can be many causes once you’ve had c Diff. For me, both times I was on Vanco I had a lot of abdominal pain on both sides and lower abdomen that I would randomly feel. This did not accompany any loose bm’s, food intolerances, etc. I believe it was just cramping. It can feel severe but it’s actually caused by muscular dysfunction. A lot of people get relief from antispasmodic drugs like Levsin or Bentyl.

Megs717
New User

Postby Megs717 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Thanks so much for your replies. I actually feel great on Vanco, nearly normal really! I will address the pain w/the doctor on Tuesday. If it were severe, I'd not wait. But it's not, and it's never consistent. On/Off. Everyone here is really knowledgeable! I asked my pediatric GI friend and she said the same thing that everyone here did. After an inflamed colon, it's completely normal - to finish Vanco and then check into Levisin (sp?) because that helps a great deal.
I think I was trying to do too much w/food a little too early. Time to get back to basics. I'm not used to feeling unwell, so my knee-jerk reaction is to eat what I want and go run for miles.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”