Taking Zantac for heartburn

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
tamolson
New User

Taking Zantac for heartburn

Postby tamolson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:58 pm

This is my first time posting on here. I was first diagnosed in 2010 after taking clindamycin. One round of Flagyl worked. In Jan of 2016 I had to take amoxicillin for a sinus infection never in a million years thinking the cdiff would return. It did. After one round of flaygl and two rounds of vanco I was "clean" in August of 2016. Longest 8 months of my life. Recently I started taking Zantac for heartburn (150 mg at bedtime). I JUST read that this can cause patients to relapse. I only looked it up because I haven't been feeling very great the past few days. Mainly cramping and a few other mild symptoms as well. Just curious if there is anyone here that has had a relapse because of these types of medications?

My head tells me to run to the Dr but I have done that before with negative results. I am completely paranoid as I'm sure you all understand. Thank you!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Taking Zantac for heartburn

Postby Ril » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Hello tamolson and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
I do understand the paranoia. We all have it. Recent use of Zantac should not be causing a relapse of c diff at this point, especially 2 years later with no new exposure and so quickly. PPIs put you at much higher risk for relapse than meds like Zantac. I would try to stay calm as your nerves can cause these symptoms.

I personally have not heard of anyone who has relapsed from Zantac although you can do a search using the search bar. I would just relax, as I said, and try to stop worrying.
Rita

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm

My GI told me to take zantac if I had heartburn. He even said I could take a PPI every once in a while but wouldn't recommend long term.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 am

Agree , Zantac is a safe drug , many used it after Cdiff including myself with no problems.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:07 am

See CDI - GERD or heartburn. Lots of tips to make your life more comfortable.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Over the last few years I've been reading as much as I can find online about possible associations between the PPIs and C. diff as well as between Zantac and C. diff. Doctors encouraged me to take PPIs long-term; I was on them for about 15 years before managing to extricate myself from them, as media reports about a link to both C. diff and osteoporosis were becoming increasingly worrisome. I think there's still a general lack of certainty about whether Zantac is actually "safe," as it accomplishes the same thing as PPIs, i.e., a decrease in stomach acid. The real debate seems to center on whether lower levels of stomach acid can predispose to C. diff.I take Zantac occasionally but continue to follow the research, as the jury still seems to be out on this issue.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

tamolson
New User

Postby tamolson » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Thank you for your replies. I am 90% sure I have c diff again. Not sure if it came from using the Zantac or it just randomly reappeared. I feel like crap. Sent a sample in yesterday now I wait until Monday to find out. Thank you again!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Hoping your test is negative. I was on Aciphex during CDIFF and now 3 years post. I went off it 6 months ago but ended up have to take so much Pepcid, I am back on the Aciphex. I have seen 4 Gi's over the last 4 years and they all recommend I stay on it.
I do think it may make people a higher risk, but I continue to take VSL#3, eat alot of prebiotic foods etc.
Everyone is different, hoping this is not a relapse for you and just a bump in the road
NanciT

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Tamolson, may I ask what some of your symptoms are now? I hope your test is negative. I’m 28, and recently recovered myself and the wait of “it may come back” is driving me up a tree.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Neither Zantac nor the PPIs actually give someone C. diff. Long-term PPI use (with definition of "long-term" murky) may contribute to C. diff, if someone is predisposed toward it in the first place, e.g., by having taken a wide-spectrum antibiotic. It's possible that Zantac might contribute, as well, though probably to a lesser extent. So far, the H2 blockers, of which Zantac is one, haven't been implicated in C. diff in the way that PPIs have been.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

tamolson
New User

Postby tamolson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:23 am

Bobbo112 wrote:
> Tamolson, may I ask what some of your symptoms are now? I hope your test is
> negative. I’m 28, and recently recovered myself and the wait of “it may
> come back” is driving me up a tree.

I’m having watery D 3-4 times a day. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, but this is different. I started noticing D a few weeks ago and it’s progressively gotten worse. It could be something else, but I am always so paranoid. I’ve had c diff twice and the 2nd time it took almost 8 months to get rid of it. I take probiotics and I do everything I can to keep my IBS symptoms minimal. I just don’t know what it causing this. I’ll let you know what I find out tomorrow. If it isn’t c diff, I assume they will have to order other cultures. This is not normal for me. Trying not to worry too much though.

tamolson
New User

Postby tamolson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Test came back positive. :(

They want to put me on Dificid. We have a really high deductible and it’s really expensive.

So frustrated right now.

Thanks again for your replies. I don’t know if this is from the Zantac or not. Have an appt Wednesday and I’ll see what they say, I guess.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:55 pm

So sorry to hear this :(.

I’ve been taking tums at night the last two nights and hearing your story makes me paranoid.

I hope you have an easy recovery and this time being the last time!

tamolson
New User

Postby tamolson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Day 8 of Dificid and it’s not working. Waiting for doctor to call me back. Has anyone ever done a vancomycin taper more than once? I did one back in Aug of 2016 and all was good until last month.

Got a referral to GI, just waiting on insurance to approve. I’m sure we will discuss FMT.

Starting to feel like there is nothing that will work for me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:22 pm

You are already on Difficid. Why not ask about a Difficid pulsing or taper?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”