Believed C Diff Re-occurrence - Test Negative

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
SunnyDay
Brand New Poster

Believed C Diff Re-occurrence - Test Negative

Postby SunnyDay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi All,

I am a 33 yr old otherwise healthy female who came down with C Diff in July 2017. I suffered with (TMI) foul smelling yellow watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, extreme urgency and gas for one month before C Diff was determined to be the cause. I had not had any antibiotics since January 2017 and no hospital/long term care exposure, so I got exposed somehow in the community. I was treated with Flagyl for 14 days with no success (Actually made me feel worse and did not help my symptoms at all). Then was on Vancomycin for 10 days, made marked improvement but still symptomatic, did another 10 days of Vacomycin and then was finally back to normal bowels. Since becoming healthy mid-September 2017, I have been meticulous about hand washing and have drank one cup of Keifer daily at breakfast (it's pretty good and I figure the probiotics couldn't hurt). I have also had no illnesses but a mild cold and very normal bowels until very recently.

Just last week I started having cramping and the feeling of swollen bowels. My BMs got softer and softer and are now back to looking and smelling exactly like C Diff. My bowel feels swollen/cramping/gassy just like C Diff. I of course RAN to my doctor and got tested. It came back negative for C Diff saying "Clostridium difficile DNA - Neg Toxin B Gene." They also tested for parasites, and other typical stomach bugs like e.Coli, Salmonella, etc. which are all negative. I fully believe I have C Diff and have an appointment with my provider Wednesday.

My questions are: Does anyone have experience with a re-occurrence where you test negative? Can anyone tell from the test result what kind of test was used and whether it is accurate? Does any other illness mimic C Diff? Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you all!!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Believed C Diff Re-occurrence - Test Negative

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 am

If you have not been on any antibiotics recently and you tested negative trough PCR (witch is considered to be very accurate) it's most likely NOT Cdiff , it may very well be a virus. Stay hydrated , eat bland , take a probiotic and see if in the next days symptoms start to subside.

SunnyDay
Brand New Poster

Postby SunnyDay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:14 am

Thank you Georgina. I am glad to know that form of test is quite accurate. I am going to take it day by day. I have been taking it easy (working from home as much as possible, staying very hydrated and eating the BRAT diet more or less) and sanitizing the heck out of my house. I am hoping you are right. Thank you for your response.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 am

I agree with Georgina. During my 'Post CDIFF" time I actually did go on an antibiotic and still tested negative.
I can think of 4 different occasions I had D for 3 days and each time thought it had returned.
I would take the diet back to bland and things improved. Any new medication( even one's I had been on in the past) I seemed to react too. A simple medication like AZO made me very ill.

Post IBS can take awhile to improve.
NanciT

SunnyDay
Brand New Poster

Postby SunnyDay » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 am

Thank you Nanci. I do think that my colon is much more sensitive than it was pre C-Diff, and maybe the bug that is hitting me is just hitting me harder than it would have pre C-diff. Thanks for you support!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”