Newly diagnosed - how do you function daily?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
13kwoods
New User

Re: Newly diagnosed - how do you function daily?

Postby 13kwoods » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:47 am

Thank you for the reply shooten. I joined a second support group and rapid heart rate seems to be repeated there, as well. Not as common as D but common enough that our GI's should know.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 am

I didn’t read through all the replies, so this may already have been suggested. My manager suggested I go on something called ‘Intermittent FMLA’. I ended up going down hard two days after I opened the case and had to open a short-term disability case for two weeks.

I’m lucky to be able to work from home too, but am in several video-conferences a week. I did my best, but with each failed round of Vanco (4 total before FMT), I got worse between rounds.

The Vanco kept stuff from getting out of control, but when each round ended or were tapered, I got worse.

I ended up in urgent care, and sent via ambulance from there to the hospital (that’s when I got the FMT on the books).

So for me, I worked from home the first 4 months, then out the week before the FMT and the week after. I’m back to working from home (but I generally work from home anyway). I can’t imagine going into an office throughout all of that.

Take care of yourself. I think trying to power through this made me less likely to get well. The FMLA was a gift because it protects my job.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the information, I have never heard of "intermittent " either so it's good to know! We are asked this question on the site alot and it's always difficult for me to answer.
I was not able to take time off ( I have a contract each year) and was sure if I took any leave time I would not be renewed. I did take the days off I was in the ER which added up, I had a similar situation when stopping the Vanco and also when I went off the initial 10 days of Dificid.
Great info! I will look online for details! I hope you are doing better!
NanciT

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 am

Oh Nancy, I can’t imagine being a contractor and powering through this. I was a contractor for five years and had to change over to a salaried position because I needed the health benefits after a divorce.

Without work protections, I probably would have worked myself into the grave out of fear. I already was anxious even with work protection.

My employer outsources the administration of FMLA, which made it super easy for me. You may find info on their sire:matrixabsence

Good luck to you, and I hope you get to feeling well soon. The FMT was a game-changer for me.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 am

I appreciate the information on the site, something I did not know about. I was ill 2014/2015 but it's been a very long road back. At the time, I could not get an FMT so went on a long Dificid taper from a research paper I found online out of desperation. The long Dificid taper worked but I feel it is the reason my recovery has taken so long.
Still not 100% but getting there.
Thanks for the info, I am sure it will help others in the future
NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”