Concerned Carrier

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Rada
Brand New Poster

Concerned Carrier

Postby Rada » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 am

Good morning,

I am a 21 year old male who recently received positive test results for C.Diff infection around a month ago. Now, I would like to add a bit of my backstory before I ask my question.

I took bactrim for around 1 year in order to treat persistent acne that I had since around the age of 17. While on the medication, I rarely noticed any side effects save for an increase in the amount of flatulence that I was producing daily. However, once I ended treatment, I had what I believed to be a vomiting virus (including diarrhea) for a few days. After feeling horrible for around a week, I suddenly began to get better. Thus, at the time, I did not believe there was cause for concern. However, fast forward a few months later and I was still was having symptoms (bloating, excess flatulence, stool and gas that smelled horrific, mucus in stool, etc). After voicing my concerns to my mother, I set up an appointment with a gastro and was tested for a number of things which came up negative. Once I tested positive for C. Diff, my doctor suggested I take Flagyl, however, I refused since I don't consider my symptoms to be extreme enough to use such a risky form of treatment.

I've been using natural treatments (oregano oil, saccharomyces boulardii, etc) and maintaining a healthy diet since my diagnosis. I do not generally have D throughout the day, however, I'm still experiencing minor symptoms including occasional blood on the toilet paper and what appears to be blood streaks in my stool.

My questions are as follows:

1) Am I being naive by not following my doctors advice to get on antibiotics, and should I set up another appointment?

2) Do I possibly have another condition (Ulceritive Colitis, Crohns, etc) that I need to get checked out with a colonoscopy or something similar?

This is stressing me out a great deal in addition to being a university student and I would appreciate any advice you may have.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Concerned Carrier

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Hello Rada and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

Many people probably get better without treating c difficile as many don't even know they have it. If you are doing well with taking Sacc Boulardii, etc. you may want to wait to treat. There is a product called EnteraGam that is for IBS-D, but it helps carry out toxins. It is a medical food that is mixed with liquid, but you need a prescription to get it. You might want to talk to your doctor about it.

If you decide to treat, I would ask about taking Dificid. It is the newest drug and targeted only for c difficile, unlike Flagyl and it kills less good bacteria than vancomycin. Many have had success with that.

You might also consider taking a multi-strain probiotic. I take VSL#3, but there are others. Oil of oregano has some antimicrobial properties. Others drink kefir. Some have used Turmeric or curcumin. If the bleeding continues, I would definitely see a doctor though.

Rada
Brand New Poster

Postby Rada » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am

Thank you so much for your reply, it really means a lot. I've still been bleeding when I wipe (tmi), every day for the past week. My stools are soft, but I'm not experiencing diarrhea. Is it possible (or common), to have an active C Diff infection without diarrhea?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22 pm

It isn't common to have an active c-diff infection without the presence of diarrhea. However, we have had posters on this site who have had constipation with c-diff. The blood may just be from hemorrhoids, but I suggest to see the GI to make sure. It's probably nothing, but blood shouldn't really go ignored.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”