can I colonoscopy

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
carrie28
Brand New Poster

can I colonoscopy

Postby carrie28 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I finished my second course of vanco 2 weeks ago and had a few bad days of mushy/muddy stools but have leveled off to 2-3 a day. My GI doctor has fit me in for a colonoscopy on this coming Monday as she is concerned there is something other than cdiff going on, UC or microscopic colitis. Is it safe for the gut to undergo prep this soon after finishing meds? Will I relapse? My GI doc said that "the bowel prep does not wash away good bacteria" and "There is no correlation between taking a bowel prep or having a colonoscopy and getting cdiff. The prep does not contain antibiotics, which is the biggest risk factor for cdiff. As previously mentioned, the prep does not wash away good intestinal bacteria. The procedure itself does not increase the risk for cdiff infection." Sorry for the length!! Thoughts?
Last edited by carrie28 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: Colonoscopy 2 weeks after finishing vanco after first relapse

Postby roy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Only you can decide but quite a few posters say a colonoscopy caused a relapse.

http://blog.listentoyourgut.com/colonos ... d-to-know/

carrie28
Brand New Poster

Postby carrie28 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Any idea how many have relapsed? I really would like to hear from them!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 am

Most people waited a few more weeks in their recovery to get a scope done.
There are some ways to get a look inside the bowel without getting a cleanse , for example : the flexible rectosigmoidoscopy that doesn't require any prep , just a liquid diet 12 hours before the procedure , also the calprotectin stool test that determines if there is a inflammatory bowel disease.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”