Thoughts on topical Clindamycin causing c diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
KathM05
New User

Thoughts on topical Clindamycin causing c diff

Postby KathM05 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 pm

So I know doctors always say “it’s topical and shouldn’t cause c diff” but I find my situation too much if a coincidence to not have it be the factor.

I’m on my 3rd adventure with C-Diff in 1.5 years. The first time I was using the vaginal cream clindamycin for BV and half way through I started getting all the fun c diff symptoms. Now, I had been in and out of hospitals, my daughter was sick so I was under stress and had a weakened immune system from cancer but never had c diff before even with all my treatments. The doc said it’s more probable it’s the hospital visits and not the topical solution. It doesn’t cause c diff. Which I saw her point. They gave me crappy flagyl and I swear it never fully worked. I tested negative but still struggled with stomach issues. 6 months later I was diagnosed with a new cancer and had major surgery which included clindamycin but also IV flagyl. 2 weeks later I had c diff again. I had a horrible reaction to vancomycin through the IV in the past, so I was able to talk my ID doc to get approval for Dificid and it worked magic. It cured me and NO IBS issues like I was having before. So makes me wonder if the flagyl never fully took care of the bug. Fast forward to now a year later. I was having some acne issues and my kid has the clindamycin acne liquid. I thought, ok don’t be paranoid, docs all say it’s not going to cause c diff. So I used it a few times that week. A week or 2 later I start having the c diff symptoms. I tested positive and they gave me vanco(new doctor I moved) they said taken orally I shouldn’t have the same bad reaction like when I had it IV. I wish they would just do the extra work and her my Dificid. Anyways, I know it’s super rare and I barley used much but I find it too coincidental that 2 of the 3 times was after topical clindamycin and 1 was iv which duh I almost expected that one. I’m NEVER touching anything with that devil drug in it again. I wish doctors would listen and stop saying it’s not going to cause c diff. I’m in and out of hospitals a lot over the past 7 years and the only issues I’ve had came after use of clindamycin topical and iv.

Anyone else have issues after topical use? I go see a GI doc soon. I’m going to talk to them about it too.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Thoughts on topical Clindamycin causing c diff

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm

It absolutely can cause c difficile. The vaginal cream did it to me too. Also, I used the liquid for acne before c diff and got D. Dermatologist said to stop immediately. Others have had issues too. I will never use it again in any form.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:51 am

Unfortunately Clynda is not safe in ANY form , I would stay away. There are a lot of other antibiotic creams that you can safely use.

KathM05
New User

Postby KathM05 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:41 am

Wow! Thanks you guys for confirming my suspicions. I feel like every doc I share my thought with brushes it off because a lot of people are just fine with the topical creams. I told my daughter today to stop using it too. She’s never had c diff THANK GOD. I’m always paranoid I will spread it to my daughter but I think I won’t take chances with her either and get her something else

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am

I want to mention we should always take that "review" in the pharmacy and speak with the Pharmicist. Review the actual DRUG insert which is clear on any form of Clindamycin as Beth and Gorgina have mentioned.
Anyone that has had CDIFF in the past should do this and explain concerns.

Sorry you are going through this!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 pm

If a Dr says topical does not go systemic ask them how nicotine and morphine patches work!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Agree. Clindamycin in any form can contribute to c diff

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Yes, topical Clindamycin was the only antibiotic I was using just before my first and only ever c diff infection.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”