Safety of Rifaximin and Nystatin?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MikeDee
New User

Re: Safety of Rifaximin and Nystatin?

Postby MikeDee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 pm

I’m just going to have to call on Monday. Mayo Clinic communicates through an app which is very efficient but they haven’t really set up a plan. They did however find a lot of information that the other hospitals either missed or didn’t communicate.

When I had an endoscopy and a pill capsule endoscopy I was told it was unremarkable. Mayo Clinic pulled the pictures and samples from the hospital and found there were ulcers in the entrance to the small intestine, irritation of the ileum, gastritis throughout the walls of the stomach as well as chronic inflammation of the lower esophagus. Additionally they found presence of swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen. I have no idea what that means and googling it always gives the worst possibilities so I will just have to wait and hopefully speak to the doctor on Monday.

I appreciate everyone’s input on here as well as the feedback. As I’m sure everyone on here knows it’s tough to get written off by doctors with the label of “post-infectious ibs” even though there may be more going on

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:59 pm

At least you are getting thorough care at this point.... yep I was told I had PI-IBS for 8 months until I asked for the SIBO test.

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 pm

An update:

So I did the 10 day trial of Xifaxan and really didn’t see any improvement. Somewhat more energy but still feeling sluggish all the time with gas and loose stools.

The doctors at Mayo Clinic said that the irritation on the intestinal tract was mild and I shouldn’t be concerned as the inflammation markers in my blood were low.

The odd thing is that when I was given Nystatin I was told that it should have a very mild effect on the body/gi tract. About an hour after every dose I had heavy panic attacks. When I called the doctor they said the fact that there is a reaction to it may signal a yeast overgrowth somewhere along. They switched me to diflucan and honestly I’m scared to take it.

I have a lab order for a cdiff test to go that’s ready at my disposal. My primary care physician puts them on file so I can essentially come in and do it anytime I want.

Does anybody have any experience with diflucan? Can all of this pain/weight loss/anxiety/nausea be from a fungal infection? Is diflucan considered decently safe? I was told it’s very hard on the liver but in some ways is even safer than Nystatin because it doesn’t reach the colon and on top of that cdiff and fungal infections go hand in hand since they often help each other.

I’m curious if anyone has any insight, I’m really running out of options and I don’t really know what to do

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”