New here, advice needed sorry it's long

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ladykim
Brand New Poster

New here, advice needed sorry it's long

Postby Ladykim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Kim. I am a 51 year old female. I am a nurse in a dialysis center. I will try to be brief.
Dec 2, 2017 began having D, thought just a virus. It continued to get worse, 15-20 times per day, severe pain, gas etc
December 13, couldn't take it anymore, went to ER and was admitted, white count 17.8. CT scan bowel filled with liquid and transverse colon thickened. I had thought c.diff before going to hospital, but as a nurse we are our own worst patients, besides who would care for my patients? Anyhow, was immediately started on flagyl IV. Continued with massive D and pain. After 3 days they tried oral flagyl, yeah no, didn't work. Started oral vanco, symptoms worsened. Put on dificid and be improved so on day 9 sent me home (dec 23).
Jan 2. My white count had normalized at end of 1st hospitalization, now white count back up to 15.5. Readmitted due to abdominal pain, and dehydration. During the next 4 days was diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism- calcium levels as high as 12.5. And many other symptoms, foggy brain, feeling awful, depression, anxiety and insomnia, which are also symptoms of c. Diff. Also this week found gallstones, which also cause abdominal pain!
Jan 13. C. Diff symptoms return, readmitted with c diff relapse 10 days after completing the dificid. And was severely dehydrated at this point. Was restarted on dificid. Today I am on day 10 of dificid, will complete this course on Jan 29.

In between all of this, had an ultrasound on thyroid, and found a new extremely suspicious nodule. Surgeon came to see me and wants all this testing done before he does surgery, gonna do the parathyroids and gallbladder at same time, but now may need to do thyroid too. TODAY, I am on day 6 of NO POO. I am on restricted diet due to the c. Diff, gallstones, parathyroid, and newly diagnosed diabetes. I am feeling lost and out of control. Tried an enema, no go. Still have abdominal pain and gas, but is it due to constipation or gallstones? Surgeon won't do surgery til clear of c. Diff.

I feel like crap. I'm in pain and exhausted. I try to stay hydrated but it is so difficult. I'm trying to eat, but not hungry. I have been on lactinex (probiotic) since December 14. Eating yogurt with probiotics.
I am so worried about a recurrence of the c. Diff. I need to have this surgery. Plus worried that I have thyroid cancer (biopsy tomorrow).
Is 6 days too long without going poo? Should I have called GI? I don't have appointment til the 30th with GI.

I am so sorry this is so long, I should have put this under the "rant" area. Any suggestions eagerly welcome. No one is really following the c. Diff stuff, each time it's being dealt with by the GI at hospital where my GI doesn't go, and my GI sent me another time to their own hospital, but didn't come to see me at all. And last week it was ID that saw me!! Frustrating.
51 year old female. RN In dialysis center.
C. Diff for being on a double course of clindamycin
First c. Diff diagnosed December 13
2nd c. Diff diagnosed January 13.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: New here, advice needed sorry it's long

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounded as if you DID relapse AFTER the Dificid? Am I correct on that? How long after did they test you ? This is confusing with gallbladder symptoms and possible thyroid symptoms.

First, call your GI Explain the current situation while you are on Dificid. I had issues while on DIficid and did end up in the ER, it can cause abdominal pain and constipation. I was on a Pulse/taper dose after the 10 days failed. Talk with your GI about that rather then repeating 10 days.
I understand why the surgeon does not want to do surgery while you have CDIFF, its very difficult to tell what is going on.
As far as they thyroid, once they do a biopsy you will know where you are. You may also want another opinion on thyroid/parathyroid surgery. I did get two opinions and searched out the BEST thyroid surgeon I could find.
Take care of the CDIFF first and contact your GI about current symptoms, talk about your current dose of Dificid.
Sorry you had to find us, we have many nurses who end up on this site
NanciT

Ladykim
Brand New Poster

Postby Ladykim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Thank you. I tested positive for c. Diff 10 days after completing the dificid.
As for the parathyroid stuff, I was diagnosed by a nephrologist, and confirmed by endocrinologist, and my lab work. This week I am doing a sesmibe? Scan to locate which parathyroid, and another ultrasound as well as a 4D ct scan. I do have one of the best surgeons, he is amazing. He is in close consultation with my GI, endo and ID.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm

It sounds like you are confident with the surgeon, I think his advice to wait until CDIFF resolves makes alot of sense. Unless surgery is needed right away, I would wait.
Wishing you the best with all of this
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:03 am

I had parathyroid surgery. If your calcium is that high, that in itself can make you constipated. I had C with parathyroid as well. My sestamibi scan did not show anything, but an ultrasound did. I had an adenoma on one parathyroid gland that was removed and my calcium and PTH levels normalized. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no nodules as far as anyone knows.

I think 6 days is a bit long to go without a bm, so I would call your doctor and ask about it. I don't know how much the diet has to do with it. Lactinex is an old probiotic. Most people take a multi-strain probiotic. I take VSL#3, but there are many others out now.

I know that the Dificid taper has worked well for some people and it might be a good idea to do that. Would your doctor be willing to do surgery while you are on the Dificid? I guess a lot will depend on the outcome of your thyroid biopsy. I know several people who had nodules taken out that were not cancerous, but were causing hyperthyroid issues. They felt better afterwards.

Ladykim
Brand New Poster

Postby Ladykim » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am

Hi beth thank you. Good to see others have some of the same issues. I had hyperthyroidism and already had 9 nodules. I had radioactive iodine 14 years ago to kill thyroid, apparently it didn't work. In nov 2015 I found another nodule and a scan showed 2. Dr biopsied then 1 benign the other couldn't get enough cells twice! So this new nodule popped up since that last scan. This is the biggest one I've had 2 cm.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”