At a loss with this one...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mtga37
Brand New Poster

At a loss with this one...

Postby mtga37 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello Everyone,

It looks like I have joined this club that is not a fun one to be in, but I am SO appreciative of everything I have learned from this group so thank you!! 9 days ago I was diagnosed with C-Diff after my Doctor said my diarrhea was fine (I was on Clindamycin for strep throat weeks ago). I did not agree with this and headed straight to the ER to find out my stool test came back positive. I am in the middle of switching doctors and have just recently seen a GI for other reasons. 9 days into Flagyl (3 days, 500 dose) my stool is soft and formed and I seem to be able to tolerate food for the most part. I am almost ridiculous about bleaching my house but keeping on that no matter what! I hate the side effects of the flagyl, but it seems to be working so I am sticking it out for the 14 day course.

I just feel left with so many questions and nobody seems able to answer them! Any help would be very, very appreciated:

1. I work at a school and have been cleared to go back now that my stools are formed. Does this seem accurate?? My BIGGEST fear is passing this onto anyone else. I do feel confident that I am super careful with hand washing (my hands burn they are washed so much)

2. My family and friends! Besides my family, one friend and my parents and sister I have not told anyone about my diagnosis. My house is kind of the kid "hang out" house. When do I feel comfortable (and safe!) letting my kids have their friends back in my house? I love having them over so this has broken my heart!

3. Can I assume that if I have formed stools (no diarrhea since day 2 on flagyl) that I am no longer "contagious?"

Thank you so much for your help and support... this has been a crazy ride!! :(

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Re: At a loss with this one...

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Hello mtga37, sorry to see that you have had to find this forum but welcome! I’m sure one of the administrators will be along to give you a formal welcome shortly! It sounds like you are very informed and were able to get a diagnosis quickly! It took 4 days of diarrhea for me to realize things weren’t right after antibiotic treatment following a surgery and I was diagnosed fairly quickly as well thankfully. I’ve seen so many on here who suffered for weeks before getting treatment. I’m glad you seem to be handling the flagyl well, some can’t and have awful side effects. My first course of antibiotic for treatment was flagyl but I was not improving on it so my GI switched me to vanco on day 9 of flagyl. I remember freaking out at first too and literally bleaching everything in my house over and over and over again. I am a 29 year old stay at home mom to a 4 year old and a 19 month old so I was so scared they would contract it.

As to your questions, I would imagine that you would be fine to return to work as long as you are feeling better. It sounds like you have greatly improved on the flagyl although I am not a medical doctor so I would follow your doctor’s instructions. One thing to note is that there are people who are carriers of cdiff who test positive but are asymptotic so I wouldn’t be completely concerned about passing it on to someone if you go back to work as long as you aren’t symptomatic. Proper hand washing is important so it sounds like you are doing that. Just make sure you finish the flagyl and you should be covered.

I never really was concerned about people coming to my house. I bleached everything over and over again. I don’t know what your house set up is but I have 2 bathrooms and my downstairs bathroom is always the high traffic bathroom in my house so I basically claimed the upstairs bathroom and told my family to use the downstairs one. This made me feel better anyway. But, there was a period of time before my diagnosis that I shared the bathroom with my family (including my 4 year old) and no one got cdiff. I am currently 2 weeks out from an FMT. I did the round of flagyl followed by 3 rounds of vanco and then the FMT. Hoping this is my magic bullet, so far so good. I’ve gotten a little less stressed over time though seeing that my family has shared many things with me and have not gotten cdiff.

I know how distressing this is. There have been so many times I’ve sat and cried. It really does a number on your emotional state. Just try to stay positive and know that this too shall pass. Eventually, everyone finds the right treatment and kicks this ugly thing to the curb. There are many who can kick it with just one round of antibiotics! Hoping the flagyl cures you! Wishing you tons of luck! This site is awesome by the way, I could not have gotten through these last few months without these great people!

Sending good vibes!
Ashley

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello Mtga37 and welcome to the site. Please read the first section on rules for posting for new members.

Sorry you have this illness but glad you are doing better. The vast majority of people get better with the first or second course of medication. Flagyl is a tough medication to tolerate and the least effective yet is still frequently the first medication prescribed. It sounds as though it is working for you. It worked for me as well but when I needed a second course I took vancomycin and that did the trick. There is also Difficid, the most superior of all, but often not prescribed because of cost.

It is good you have a GI dr and I would continue under the GI dr’s care.

In terms of food, still take it easy. Food tolerances change so don’t push it. Avoid dairy, rich food, fried food, sweets and heavy fiber. Add new things gradually and one at a time to see how you tolerate each.

If you no longer have d and as long as your dr agrees you can return to work. Wash your hands really well- hopefully you do that already- and after using a shared/community toilet, wipe down the seat, handle, faucets and anything you touch with bleach wipes. You can purchase prepackaged ones on Amazon. Flush the toilet with the seat down,

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 am

Sorry you are dealing with Cdiff Mtga. Sounds as if Flagyl is doing it's job , be sure to try a probiotic as well , Saccharomyces boulardii is studied to be the most effective on this infection and also because it's a yeast based probiotic it won't be killed by the antibiotic. As Rita said , diet is very important if you want you gut to heal faster , at first you start with very bland foods and gradually add more foods back into your diet as you gut starts to heal. And yes , you assumed correct , if your stool takes shape and frequency goes down , if you feel well then you are no longer contagious and you are putting nobody at risk .

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”