Treated for c diff before stool results?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jan1980
Brand New Poster

Treated for c diff before stool results?

Postby Jan1980 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Hello I was given Flagyl for 1r days by my gastroenterologist after I went to him with diarrhea for 9 days that started the 2nd day of augmentin for an ear ache. He took blood and stool to check for c diff. They called me and said my blood levels showed slightly elevated inflammation but the stool would not be back until Monday possibly. I'm on day 3 of Flagyl but my diarrhea stopped actually Wednesday. Even Tuesday it was just soft. I actually feel worse with this Flagyl than with the diarrhea. My diarrhea did not hurt. It just came out every time I sat to pee like nothing. Is it possible my diarrhea was just antibiotic caused and not actually c diff? Since I'm better now? Also I was taking a PPI protonix for acid and gastritis while on Augmentin so that was another red flag for the doc I suppose. Do docs normally treat based on elevated blood versus stool? After reading all your posts it I am doubting I have this. But worried I should keep taking the flavor case. Thanks.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Treated for c diff before stool results?

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Jan,

Agree with u. Doubt if u have c diff. Bad move for doc to treat before culture came back,

Flagyl bothers many people. Unless u are triply miserable I would stay on it until u get the culture results. You might be able to get the results by calling the lab but doubt it on a weekend.

There is antibiotic- related diarrhea that is not c diff.

Keep us posted. Try a heating pad for the pain,

Jan1980
Brand New Poster

Re: Treated for c diff before stool results?

Postby Jan1980 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will stick it out and will definitely call them on Monday. Have a great rest of your weekend.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”