Trying sourdough start and feeling very good

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sbmike
New User

Trying sourdough start and feeling very good

Postby sbmike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

I am on second round (6 weeks tapering) with Vancomycin. In sixth month of c diff without being able to get rid of it or beat it into some reasonable role in my gut biome. I have been pinning my hopes on the FMT treatment that I hope to get done in February, but have been trying everything I could think of while I wait to become more comfortable. I am now three days into eating an ounce or two of live sourdough starter mixed with fruit juice (tastes a little better and bumps acidity maybe) three or four times a day. I love sourdough, but haven't normally just eaten spoonfuls of it. I don't want to jinx my situation by saying anything, but I am also interested in sharing any good news on this list, so that others can test and see if it helps.

I am down to 1 250 mg tab of vanco per day, about three weeks in, and I have had the sense that the c diff was not getting killed off this time with the vanco as well as it did with the first round when I was really sick back in September. I have been experiencing numerous daily episodes of burning esophagus over the past month and I have been using tums to deal with that, but tums reduce acidity and c diff likes reduced acidity, so I haven't been too excited about managing the burning with the tums. Now I take an ounce or two of live sourdough starter, add an ounce or two of cranberry/raspberry juice, stir it up and throw it down. I get a lot of relief from the burning sensation quickly and do a bit more burping for an hour or two (not a problem, but socially awkward sometimes) then I feel pretty darn good.

I hope others might give this a try and report back.

roy
Administrator

Re: Trying sourdough start and feeling very good

Postby roy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Sorry but I moved this from the treatments section.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 am

Careful with sourdough because it can create gut discomfort and also will increase acidity in stomach , if you are already taking treatment for high acidity it's not a good idea to take sourdough.

sbmike
New User

Postby sbmike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:34 am

Thanks, it gave me 24 hours of feeling pretty good, then I tried to eat a normal meal and that worked out poorly, so I think I got too excited about feeling good for a day. It's a nasty illness that really grinds on a person.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi sbmike!

Sorry you are having such a difficult time suffering from and getting rid of C-diff!

I relapsed after 14 days of flagyl, then relapsed after 14 days of vancomycin, and then took 14 days of vancomycin followed by tapering. During most of the time on Vancomycin with, or without the tapering, it lessened the severity of the infection. After the tapering I was able to go five days without any worsening symptoms. However, during the sixth day, without vancomycin, my condition got much worse! That is when I was switched to 10 days of dificid 200mg, twice per day.

With the dificid I took FIVE of Jarrow's Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion, which is equal to 25 billion or 1¼ grams. I continued to take five of these for two weeks after I stopped taking the dificid and then cut it down to two per day. I also took and am continuing to take two of Dr. Tobias Deep Immune; === one of Dr. Tobias 30 Billion CFUs, 10 Strains Probiotics for Women and Men; === one of NOW 25 Billion Probiotic-10; === 5000 iu vit d3.

I am over four months free of C-diff without any restrictions, or uncomfortable or nasty symptoms.

I don't know how much the probiotics have helped me to fully recover from C-diff, if at all, but I do believe that they are beneficial, especially the Saccharomyces Boulardii.

Regards, best of luck, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”