Dificid taper vs fmt

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Dani
New User

Dificid taper vs fmt

Postby Dani » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:08 pm

I met with a GI this morning who is willing to do an fmt for me. I did Flagl,Vanco the Didicid and made it 30 days off dificid before relapse. Just curious if I should try dificid taper now or go straight to fmt. Looking for opinions or experiences. Thanks

roy
Administrator

Re: Dificid taper vs fmt

Postby roy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm

It depends on your current symptoms.
You have to do a course of c.diff meds before the FMT and usually that's vanco.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Hello Dani and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I don't know the actual statistics on FMT vs Dificid taper. My experience was I could not get in to see the only GI who was doing them in my area in 2014 after having gone through months of treatments. My only option was the Dificid taper. By the time my appt came around, he felt I should be CDIFF free and asked me to continue with the taper. It worked.

We have many posters who did great with the FMT and many who have done great with the Dificid taper.

As Roy pointed out, you will still go on medication before the FMT.
Wishing you the best with either one you choose!
NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm

When I decided to have my FMT done, one of the major reasons was because I felt I couldn't take one more relapse. I felt weak, I hurt, I felt faint often. After my FMT my doctor told me I had inflammation throughout my entire colon. That reaffirmed my decision.
There are risks to an FMT, and a lot of us develop IBS afterwards, but... it has the highest success rate of any treatment.
I went a month after my 2nd round of Flagyl before relapse, and a bit over a month after a Vanco taper before relapse. So disappointing!!! you think you are OK and then bam, not OK. It's a hard decision. I have seen several posters on here successful with the Dificid taper, and with that you do not taken any of the "unknown" risks of an FMT. But, if you are in rough shape health wise, you might want to do the treatment with the highest success rate.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 am

I would do both , first the long Dificid course followed by the FMT , 48 h after the course is finished. I personally think that this combo has the higher cure rate.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 am

I agree with Georgina, but the only thing is that before FMT they usually want you to have a full dose of antibiotic and with a taper, you would be on a very low dose. Another option is to have the FMT and ask to prep with DIficid rather than vanco.

Dani
New User

Postby Dani » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Thank you for all of your replies. I was on Vanco for four days and was having break through symptoms so switched to Dificid. My GI had never heard of doing a dificid taper and I didn’t want to do a Vanco taper as it was failing to control symptoms. Then I found out my insurance would not approve anymore Dificid so my FMT is scheduled fir a Monday! My GI told my to stop the antibiotic the day before. Looking for tips on how to help the new bacteria grow? I would appreciate any info.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 pm

I think it's funny that your insurance won't cover Dificid, which is $200 per pill so $2000 for standard course, but it will cover FMT which is basically a colonoscopy (average cost $3081) plus $400 or $500 for the stool donation (Open Biome is $485).

Good luck and hope you feel better quickly.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”