Newbie here and very depressed

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bev Vonv
Brand New Poster

Newbie here and very depressed

Postby Bev Vonv » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 pm

This is my first bout of c diff. I had a bout of diverticulitis and started on bactrim. Within 4 days I started having urgent needs to go to the bathroom. I would barely make it. I never had anything but mucus and small amount of stool. I called my Dr and he ordered a stool sample to be tested. Long story short It took 2 days for me to get the sample done properly. However, by the second day, as soon as I dropped off the sample, I called my Dr and he told me to go to the ER for evaluation. I was admitted with c diff and a uti and still had the diverticulitis. I was hospitalized for 8 days. I was sent home with a month of Vancomicin. I had such a hard time dealing with this scourge. Now, this is where I am at after just finishing the antibiotic. I assumed when you got done with the round of antibiotic that you would be "healed". Then I found this support group and read somewhere that the healing doesn't start till you are done with the antibiotic. What does that mean? Also, I have gone nowhere. I never know when I will need the bathroom, and I am paranoid about using a public bathroom. I would never want to pass this on to anyone else. I have to wait 2 weeks for a fecal test, so I am stuck in the house, not knowing what to expect with this mess, and really afraid to go anywhere. Is this what I should do until I test negative?
I will say my bowels have become seminormal. I still go often but it is almost normal. How long does the "healing" take? This is one of the worst things I have ever dealt with. I am so blue. :(

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Newbie here and very depressed

Postby NanciT » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

If things are getting back to normal GI wise, that is good news. Often people can get a Post IBS and BM's can be all over the place. The reason we do also say healing can take time is from our experiences. I started with CDIFF just as you did with diverticulitis. It sounds like that is gone and you have started to heal.
Most GI's don't test after that, mine just moved forward to see how I did. Many go one round of Vanco are are fine, I would stick with a bland diet for awhile and see how you do.

Hopefully this will be it for you. You may want to consider taking a probiotic, I take VSL#3 and have continued taking it post CDIFF

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Easier said than done, but don’t get down about your situation! Like was mentioned previously, the fact you have even semi-normal BMs already is fantastic! So many people have crazy varied bowel movements and symptoms as soon as treatment finishes. The healing process and time frame is diff for everyone.

I had active infection off and on (relapsed on flagyl and then had to take antibiotics for UTI and relapsed again-good Times) for almost 8 months I believe. And it took AT LEAST 6 months to feel somewhat normal. I do have IBS now, as many do. Testing again in 2 weeks is not something I would do unless I had c diff symptoms of WD multiple times a day, etc. People can test positive with no active infection or treatment necessary for quite some time. I did.

I started venturing out when the D stopped. I just made sure I always knew where the bathroom was just in case. Going out helped me feel normal. Also, VSL3, kefir, floraster, bland healthy eating, plenty of water, exercise if possible, the grace of God, and these amazing people sent straight from heaven itself on this site, is what got me through. You will get through this, and you will heal. This site has an amazing group of knowledgeable people who are always willing to help!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 am

Sorry you got Cdiff. As you have probably read most Cdiff cases are healed from the first round of antibiotics but unfortunately for some unlucky people Cdiff can become a relapsing disease. The cases that are healed from the first round of antibiotics are not because you kicked the bacteria completely out of your system because that is not possible , they are healed because they either develop antibodies that protects them from the toxin action or because their good flora is recolonizing fast to cover the gaps that Cdiff can occupy. A pacient that has Cdiff is considered a source of infection ONLY when he is having active diarrhea , as long as the D stopped and you feel well you can return to your normal activities , go out of the house , you do not have to isolate yourself. The only thing that is recommended to do for a longer period of time is the diet. You need to eat easy to digest food , healthy food that can help you heal you damaged gut. Probiotics are also useful but try not to take high amounts as they can create discomfort too.
Sending positive vibes your way for a speedy recovery!

Bev Vonv
Brand New Poster

Postby Bev Vonv » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Thank you all for the positive insights. I have had to fix my computer, and this is the first place I came to. Hearing from other people who have gone through this helps me deal with all the issues that come up. I was comcerned today because I seemed to be slipping back somewhat, but I kept in mind the comments about people having BM's all over the spectrum. I held onto that information and tried not to panic. I am still hesitant to go out, but one of these days I will make that my goal. Hearing other's "journey" is so helpful. I am so thankful to have found this site. Thank you, all, again for the positive and helpful information. I am hoping tomorrow will be a better day!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”