FMT in 2 days, need opinion on instructions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

FMT in 2 days, need opinion on instructions

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Hello! So, my FMT is scheduled for Friday. I am a mix between excited/hopeful and nervous for failure. Trying to stay optimistic. Anyway, I will be doing my colonoscopy prep tomorrow. I’m reading through my instructions and just a little confused. I’m still taking my vanco today. I have been taking vanco 250mg 4x a day for over a month now. On the instructions I received from my doctor for my FMT, it instructs me to continue my antibiotics as prescribed and to take my last dose the day before the procedure. So, how I take that is that I’m suppose to take it all the way through tomorrow during my prep all the way up until tomorrow night and then have my colonoscopy on Friday at 11:15 am. I thought that you are suppose to stop taking it at least 24 hours prior to the colonoscopy. Is that incorrect? I know all doctors do things different ways and I’m not asking for medical advice, I’m just wondering if that’s how it sounds to everyone else? I just don’t want to do it the wrong way. Thanks!

By the way, I did call the GI office to double check and the nurse just told me to follow the instructions on the paperwork. Not really helpful.

roy
Administrator

Re: FMT in 2 days, need opinion on instructions

Postby roy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Stopping the day before means you do not take any vanco the day before the FMT.
If the FMT is Friday you do not take vanco on Thursday.
Last dose is Wednesday.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 pm

I had my last meds February 21st for my FMT on the 23rd. I didn’t take any the entire day before. Try and confirm with your dr to make sure their procedure is followed but that is what I did. Stay optimistic! FMT procedure is really quick and easy. In and out before you know it. Good things!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Ok, so I’ll take my last dose tonight then. Davidtm, did your FMT work for you?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi, Fmt via colonoscopy is the best. The preparation was hardest for me then the colonoscopy. I'm 8 weeks tomorrow. Stay optimistic and fallow you Dr instructions. Diet, food is important after Fmt depend on the doctor instruction. Good look and tell us how you feel after the procedure.
Lidia.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Ask the dr after the procedure about any kind of diet/fiber they may want you to have.
It’s been 10 months for me since my FMT and though I had off
Days I didn’t relapse. I’ve been having some issues the last two
Weeks but playing the waiting game and keeping an eye on it. Would be very rare to have an issue this far out without antibiotics so I’ve got my fingers crossed. Keep optimistic though. FMT has the highest cure rate and has cured so many people from here. It really should be done sooner. Keep us posted and think good things!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you! Wishing you luck as well, hope everything clears up for you and it’s just IBS!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 am

Good luck tomorrow MrsM25!

Hopefully tomorrow will result in you feeling much better in 2018!

Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Thank you! First time waking up and not taking vanco in a long time. Hoping that I don’t have to take vanco ever again lol

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 am

Good luck tomorrow , hopefully the FMT will be your magic bullet.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:10 am

Thank you georgina! I’m praying it is as well! Finishing up my prep, my doctor makes you split it up into two and you do half the night before and half 5 hours before your procedure. I will be happy when I can eat again, haha!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm

FMT went well. My colon looked normal, no inflammation or sign of cdiff at all. I was able to hold the FMT for almost 2 hours before having a bowel movement and letting a portion out. I held the rest for another 5 hours. Praying for a great outcome. The procedure was very easy and straight forward and the staff at the hospital were excellent.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Congrats. Sounds promising. Did your doc mention adding fiber to your diet? Some think it helps "feed" the new bacteria. Most docs don't advise using probiotics - at least not at first.

Hoping u are on your way to a complete recovery. The staff sounds excellent.

Fingers crossed for u.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:07 pm

He did say to return to a high fiber diet. He said I can eat yogurt and stuff but not to take probiotics in pill form. He said other then that, I can return to regular diet and I can do normal activities. My big one is going to the gym. Before cdiff, I went to the gym 3 times a week.

Feeling hopeful and I was very happy to hear that my colonoscopy was completely normal otherwise. Glad to be off of vanco and hoping for the best! My doctor said that I may have some ups and downs this weekend but generally his patients just get better. He said he doesn’t really do follow ups because normally people just get better but if I have problems, obviously I’m suppose to call him.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great outcome and a decent experience. I felt very energetic after my FMT and went to the gym in short time. If you go to the gym, just be cautious to not pull any abdominal muscles. I did this, and had lower abdominal pain, and unnecessarily scared myself I had been injured by my procedure! So take it easy on the abs if you exercise :-)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”