Fmt Via Endoscopy?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
allenb
Contributor

Fmt Via Endoscopy?

Postby allenb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 pm

I just met with the GI regarding my fourth round of cdiff. I have had numerous rounds of flagyl, vanco, and dificid, and a fmt via colonoscopy a year ago, but just tested positive again last month. He wants to do another fmt but this time via endoscopy. I've searched on this group and on the web but can't find a lot of information comparing the endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures so if anyone has been through it I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. Larry.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Fmt Via Endoscopy?

Postby MKW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Larry, there have been several posters on her who stated they received their FMT via nasogastric intubation, but it was not referred to as by "endoscopy". I haven't heard of this, and usually medical articles state success rate of FMT via colonoscopy is higher. I'm just curious, did your doctor explain to you why he is selecting that method of administration this time? Sounds like you have really been through it, I'm so sorry to hear that. This infection is awful. Did anything you know of cause this recurrence, like antibiotics or a health issue?
I had a successful FMT in March 2017, but have had issues with IBS since. I remember when I thought I'd just be magically cured by the FMT and go back to normal. No such luck for me, although I know it does happen for many people.
Hopefully for you your symptoms are under control for now as you await this next FMT. ... on a good note, at least you won't have to do the bowel prep!!! I wish they would perfect the OpenBiome pills, and that more practitioners were utilizing them instead (if they turn out to be as safe). There's been a lot of articles going around on Twitter lately about "poop pills". Hopefully this is in our near future instead of invasive procedures - Melanie

allenb
Contributor

Postby allenb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 pm

The endoscopy procedure is different than the one through the nose. I didn't want to do that because the people who I heard from who had it said it was extremely uncomfortable. I had the one previously via a colonoscopy and I was only able to hold it in for about ten minutes so the Dr. Recommended doing the one though via endoscopy. I got cdiff two years ago after five back surgeries (and associated antibiotics) during a six month period. I don't know why it keeps coming back--it's probably much more difficult because I had it for eight months before it was diagnosed. Anyone else familiar with the fmt via endoscopy? Thank you. Larry.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm

I had it done first via ng tube and it faiied. Next colonos copy and held it for 3 or 4 days and the c diff went into hibernation until I took antibiotics 7 months later. I did have terrible IBS and SIBO though. The last procedure was a combo upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was unable to hold the colonoscopy deposit in for more than about 10 minutes either, so I think the endoscopy is what carried me through, but I still tested positive from time to time, but did not need to treat except with pepto bismol. I would ask about the dual procedure. There are a couple of doctors in Canada who have had good results doing this.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:39 am

I too had a top down FMT that failed. The top down deliveries are not that successful unless they are done in a combo with a bottom up FMT. There are some stubborn Cdiff cases that had a FMT combo done : top down with bottom up and pills and they were cured . You can search Skizamii's posts , he had done that combo at the RDS infusions Tampa and since he is no longer active on this site I guess he is doing well.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”