20 + months after, facing antibiotics again

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

20 + months after, facing antibiotics again

Postby Ismaila » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:54 am

Hello everyone,

I have been over 20 months out, after being successfully treated with Vanco (2 years in April). My bladder, however, has never been the same, and now , I am waiting for Urine culture after pretty bad UTI symptoms. I have been on D Mannosse and Uvae Ursi & Parsley tea for the fifth day now. I do not think UTI is getting out of control, but it certainly is not significantly better. I have to take Uristat for pain, and I am trying ibuprofen every 6 hours, because, apparently, there are studies that say ibuprofen may work for uncomplicated UTI. I am scared out of my mind that I am inevitably facing Macrobid ( nitrofurantoin). The doctor told me that it goes straight to one's bladder, and really does not affect gut flora , but it is obviously a huge risk. The only other one which is , as I know, pretty safe and works for UTI, is Fosfomycin. Any additional suggestions for kicking the UTI without antibiotic, is there anything else I could try. I am willing to do anything so that I do not get C Diff again. That scares me to death.

I heard that Wild Oregano Oil is very good ,however, I also read on the Forum that some poster relapsed, as if after real antibiotics.

Thank you for every suggestion,

Ismaila

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 20 + months after, facing antibiotics again

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 pm

Hello Ismalia

I do remember you well and hope that all will go well if an antibiotic is necessary. There are several on the site who have taken Macrodantin and done well.
I actually had to take Keflex for a UTI when I was a year out and did well, you may not recall I had CDIFF for a year with 5 relapses so it was a very big thing for me at the time.
I DO understand the fear, I just had a tooth extraction/infection and feared going on them. Thankfully I did not need to.
Wait for the culture and review with your MD. The Macrodantin is often used and works well.
I think many of us ended up with bladder issues post Vanco, it has taken me a long time to recover from that. You are doing everything right, I also continue to take D Mannose and increase the dose at the first sign of symptoms. Lots of fluids, cranberry can be irritating to some so be careful with that

Wishing you the BEST, let us know how you do

NanciT

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Dear Nancy, thank you much, and I am glad you remember me.

I am still hoping I will beat this UTI without antibiotics. In Europe, Germany and Denmark especially, they are continuously doing research for treating uncomplicated UTI without antibiotics. Our grandmothers treated it without ABXs, right?
Trying to stay positive. Although, I would like to actually see with the urologist why I have so many problems with my bladder ( I am on topical Estrace too).
Love,
Ismaila

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:20 pm

I think it's important to see a urologist. I saw a very good one who attributed my problems to Vanco. It took time but they are now gone!!

The UTI is gown out and reported with colonies. If I had an infection that was 60,000 colonies or under my urologist would not treat it unless it got worse. If it is higher than that, he would treat. Often they go with the amount of infection, this can only be found with culture.
Make sure to talk with your doctor about the culture results and see if you can get in with a urologist to discuss

Take Care

NanciT

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Did anyone used OTC Cystex tablets - they actually contain old antibiotic Methenamine? I bought a box, and I am wondering if they are safe? The amount is 162 mg of Methenamine per tablet.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Ismalia, I recall a poster on here some time ago that was a younger woman who developed a UTI within a few months of having a successful FMT. I recall her doctor chose to treat her UTI with a one time IV antibiotic. She did not post thereafter that she relapsed or had any problems. I can't seem to remember her screen name. But while you are researching treatment options online, also review IV treatments. There must be some reason her doctor decided this was her lowest risk scenario as a recurrent C Diff person. .. For me, my whole adult life any time I feel symptoms of a UTI coming on, I drink LOTS of cranberry juice. I drink a half gallon a day for two days, and have never had a time it didn't knock out my symptoms. But this is at first signs of urgency and burning. I have never known if it's the change in pH or just the ample fluids flushing out my bladder that works, maybe both. It's a good preventative strategy. One thing to consider on the bright side, is you are a long time from having C Diff treatment. So you have a developed diverse microbiome again, which will be beneficial if you do have to do antibiotic therapy.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm

MKW,

Thank you much for your insight. I did take my first pill of Macrobid, because I started having some pain in my right back side. I started panicking that the infection is getting to my kidneys. I do not know whether to take another one after 12 hours, or to wait for the urine culture results tomorrow. I have extreme anxiety. I almost think I would rather die form UTI than get another C Diff infection. Horror.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Hang in there, I know how difficult it is. Hopefully you will have the culture results tomorrow and find out what grew out and if it's positive which antibiotic it is sensitive to.

Any antibiotic can cause CDIFF but we know there are some that are not as risky. It does not make a difference how it is given, IV, IM, Oral, topical, we have seen risk at all levels but the medication itself can make a difference.

The issues with culture is it takes a bit of time but it's worth seeing what it's sensitive to.

Be careful with the cranberry juice, it can irritate the bladder and/or upset the GI

Let us know how you do!

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”