I’m unfortunately back. Anyone have any advice?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jackie25
Regular Contributor

I’m unfortunately back. Anyone have any advice?

Postby Jackie25 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:06 pm

I used to be a regular on this site, but it’s been what feels like over a year since I’ve been on. A Vanco taper and pulse is what cured me a few years ago. I had a typical bumpy recovery, as many of us did. But didn’t experience anything horrible or crazy for SO long and Im so blessed to have been healthy all this time. I do have the occasional IBS due to junk food, too much wine, and sometimes from apparently nothing at all.

I decided to log back on because I am on day 4 of stomach issues. Started with typical diarrhea but I did not worry too much about it as I heard there was a bug going around my area. Took a dose of pepto each day since it started and it did seem to help keep the bathroom visits at bay. Yesterday my husband and mother both started with the WD and cramping just as I had, I continued with mine as well. I decided I would not get anxious about possible c diff since others close to me had the same issues as me.

Fast forward to this morning, I have gone to the bathroom multiple times and it’s now just loads of M tinged with B and hardly any stool. I did go to ER this AM with my husband, they did a stool sample for c diff as this is what I think I have. Feels very familiar to my past occurance, unfortunately.

They said my results would not be ready until tomorrow but they are obviously closed until Tuesday due to the weekend and the holiday. I’m so unsure about what I should do now. If I have active c diff infection I know I need to start treatment. The ER doc offered flagyl to hold me over until I can get the results and speak with my regular doctor on Tuesday. I declined the medicine because I was given 4 rounds of flagyl years ago when I was first diagnosed and it was like poison for me.I felt it killed any healthy bacteria I had left when c diff struck.

I should mention I did take a z pack a few months ago for tonsillitis that would not go away on its own. Has anyone had a reinfection from a stomach bug? Or from medication taken months prior, z pack even? I feel pretty lost about what I should do. Tuesday seems so far away, and an awfully long time to have M and B for stool.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: I’m unfortunately back. Anyone have any advice?

Postby Musings » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Obviously, we are in the same boat but happily haven't had M & B with what I hope is a stomach bug/virus!

From what I have read, the Z-Pack is a low offender so maybe this isn't a c.diff relapse but other bugs can cause blood and mucus so did the ER do a panel for other pathogens like salmonella, e.coli, etc.? Hope your current condition improves and you get a negative test result but if it gets significantly worse might be good to go back to the ER and/or a walk-in clinic to see if getting vanco is an option.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Happy to hear you don’t have the M/B! I did also read, and was told by a dear friend, that should I need any medication a z pack was a low offender for c diff. So that’s what I asked for instead of the amoxicillin they were trying to give me a few months ago.

Im honestly not sure what they tested for, more than likely it was probably just c diff as I mentioned to him I had it previously a few years ago and had taken a z pack a few months back. I didn’t even think of the possibility of other pathogens. My husband and I did eat at a steak house and the day after is when my D started, his symptoms arrived a few days after mine. We are both still having D- hes never had c diff but mentioned seeing what he thinks was B/M also. I’m still having the same, guess I’ll try to hold out and if it gets worse head back to the ER or a walk in clinic and possibly have better luck.

This is so frustrating and is giving me horrible anxiety of the unknown.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:10 am

There are other pathogens that can cause M and B too - campylobacter is one. My daughter had it as a child and I had it post c diff. I think E-coli can too. The ER should be able to give you results. I think if your test is positive, they have to let you know, but I would call them tomorrow and say you were in today and that you need to know your results.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:17 pm

I would call the ER, they should be able to give you results. If you did test positive, your primary or GI will have someone on call. They should be able to give you an RX for Vanco if that is what worked for you.

I hope you can get the results, I know the waiting is terrible

NanciT

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Husband and I are still having same issues as of this morning. Eating bananas, apple sauce, very bland etc.. Just trying to think of what this could be. Seems unlikely we would both have c diff when he hasn’t had any antibiotics and I had a z pack a few months back. But I guess anything is possible.

A lot of people have mentioned other pathogens as a possible cause though just as Beth mentioned. We never thought about that until recently. I’m going to try calling the ER now, but when I questioned yesterday how to go about getting the results they said I would have to come by to get them from the actual lab but that it may not be possible since it would be Sunday and they would be closed until Tuesday (weekend/holiday)? My husband and I thought this was strange but they said they couldn’t give results over the phone. Who knows..I’m going to call and try anyways and pray for the best.

Also, my PCP here is aware of my c diff background but has never treated me. Nor is the GI that treated me here either. When I had c diff I lived in NC were my husband was stationed. We now live back home in Texas and I haven’t had any issues in a substantial amount of time so no one here has treated me for any c diff issues. I have all my paperwork from prior treatments and such, so hopefully they don’t try and give me flagyl as a first line treatment should c diff come back positive. It didn’t work for me back then, I’m not too keen on taking it again to be honest.

Edit: called and was told there was no way to get results until Tuesday because the lab is closed until then. Just gotta hang tight until then I guess! Ugh!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 pm

Were you ever able to get hour results? Hoping for the best! There are so many viruses going around, hoping that’s all it is for you!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:30 am

Is kinda rare that you and your husband get Cdiff at the same time. My guess is that you caught something else : another bug or a parasite from the food you ate at the steak house. Hopefully you can get your results soon , that way you can know what you are dealing with and also get a peace of mind.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 am

It’s now Friday and we have not heard back from you. I also doubt that it is c diff and certainly hope not.
Also hope you will get back to us with results of labs.

Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 am

Lots of "bugs" going around. Someone screwed up the flu shot, and it is only 10 per cent effective.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi, everyone! So sorry I didn’t post sooner, got busy with work! I never did get a call about c diff results. But I ended up not even calling to get them because my husband and I both slowly got better over a few days time after I was tested. No more excessive D or cramping with the other symptoms mentioned. Actually more on the C side now, I’m sure our systems are shocked lol it Must have been some sort of parasite we got from eating the same thing, horrible.

Thank y’all for checking on me and offering so much advice and peace during such an anxious time. I didn’t think the likelihood of us both randomly having c diff at the same time was high, but you know how worrisome it cane be. I suppose the anxiety of c diff stays with you even after years of being healed. How traumatizing.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 am

Glad you and your husband are well!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”