Stomach Bug After C.Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Musings
Regular Contributor

Stomach Bug After C.Diff?

Postby Musings » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 am

I am slightly a year free of c.diff but starting Wednesday started having episodes of WD which were accompanied by fatigue and muscle aches so chalked it up to a stomach bug (which is going around here) but am on the 4th day and this morning was exceptionally worse. I have not been on any antibiotics, at all, in the last year and nothing else to compromise my GI since this bug but am terrified of a relapse. Do stomach bugs tend to hit those who suffered with c.diff harder? Debating going to Urgent Care but trying so hard to not let the anxiety and obsession with my health happen as it did when I was actively suffering and in early recovery but thinking a negative test might put my mind at ease.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Stomach Bug After C.Diff?

Postby OCmama » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:48 am

I am also 1 year out and recently had a stomach bug that lasted 13 days (with WD and one day went 15 times), I tested and was negative. The test definitely helped put my mind at ease. I have noticed that since C. diff anytime I get a cold my PI-IBS flares up. I hope you feel better soon!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:06 am

The problem with testing is that after c.diff you might be colonised and the test will be positive.
You could end up being treated and it's not c.diff causing the symptoms.
if things don't improve in a few days, or get worse fast, get tested but it might pay to wait a while.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

Just with my own experience, GI bugs have hit me harder since Post CDIFF(3 years now). I still have Post IBS which I did not have before all of this so I may be more sensitive.

The flu is going around, hopefully you will see things improve soon!!

NanciT

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:56 am

Decided to go to Urgent Care but since it has been over a year and no recent antibiotics or nursing home visits, the doctor did not believe it was c.diff but sent a test out just to be safe. She thinks it is viral and should hopefully work its way through in another 3/4 days.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Just read your post, and I am in a similar situation myself this week. Except mine has turned to M and B. It did start out as what seemed like the stomach bug that’s apparently going around. My husband finally caught it and has had WD and cramping since yesterday, my mother started with it today too.

I also submitted a c diff test this AM at the ER. I’m pretty sure it’s what I have as I did take a z pack a few months ago and am displaying some pretty typical symptoms of the infection.

However, I pray yours truly is just the bug and you will see relief soon! I know how hard and anxious it can be having stomach issues and wondering if it’s back. This site helped me tremendously years ago, can’t believe I’m back on here but relieved it still exists!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 am

My best friend just had a stomach bug and hearing her symptoms made me wonder if she had c diff. She is okay now, but it was about 3 or 4 days and she has no history of c difficil. I know the ERs are full of intestinal viruses. Roy is correct in that you may test positive for c diff, but it may not be causing your symptoms. If your symptoms do not improve after a few days, I would get tested for other pathogens with a routine stool culture too. You might have picked up some other infection.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Don't want to get overly excited but starting last night and through today, starting feeling more "normal" again and haven't had a single movement so am thinking I am coming out on the other side of this virus (thank goodness!).

Beth, yes, if my virus was like your friends, it was almost EXACTLY what it felt like when I had c.diff hence why I was so panicked.

And Roy, if I continue on this path, and hope I do, I won't seek treatment even with a positive result. On the PCR, I always tested positive for the antigen so would not be shocked if I still come up positive there but guess will see what the results say and figure out if I am colonized or not.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 am

Wanted to post an update. Started feeling better last Saturday night and steadily improved throughout the week. Called Urgent Care this morning as I was curious of the results and it came back negative so appears I did just have a nasty stomach virus.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:25 am

Glad you are better. Thanks for letting us know.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”