Will Test Return Negative for Mild Cases?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
FrankS
Regular User

Will Test Return Negative for Mild Cases?

Postby FrankS » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Fellow Sufferers:

I had an FMT 5 weeks ago after numerous antibiotic attempts and feel I may have relapsed after 2.5 weeks. But PCR and EIA testing returns negative - I'm not having the symptoms to the degree I had earlier but I have soft, mushy stools and that pungent smell. I am concerned because I have lots of inflammation in the lower part of my colon (down there) that started about 2 weeks after my FMT and it is difficult to sit or move about. I also had this inflammation before the FMT. I got checked out by a colon and rectal surgeon who said it is probably internal hemorrhoids but I think it is caused by c-diff toxins, yet I test negative. I'm glad I tested negative but still have this burning inflammation.

Could the c-diff test be returning negative due to a mild case?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Will Test Return Negative for Mild Cases?

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 am

If you had a pcr test, it would show even a mild case. I have tested positive without D for over a year on PCR. It is a very sensitive test.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:27 am

Frank S

I would contact the colorectal surgeon, there are medications he can try. If you are having a lot of pain, he needs to reevaluate. If the PCR is negative....it's negative. I would contact him again and get a treatment plan

I hope you feel better soon
NanciT

FrankS
Regular User

Postby FrankS » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks NanciT

My colon\rectal doc told me to take sith baths and use OTC creams. I'll give it a shot and see if it works. It is just constant burning pain and worse when I drive or use exercise equipment that requires sitting. I ask my FMT nurse if this could be a reaction to the donor stool and she said no.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 pm

If enough people say it you eventually have to believe it.
Try to accept good news.

If the OTC stuff doesn’t work, as NAnciT told you, after a fair trial you can call the dr back and there are things he can prescribe but give this plan a chance first.

Merry Christmas!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”