Is it possible to recontaminate yourself? I'm bleaching everything!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ChrisF
Brand New Poster

Is it possible to recontaminate yourself? I'm bleaching everything!

Postby ChrisF » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello, my name is Chris

I'm a 49 year old male. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 44 years. It is not currently active, but all of my joints are seveely damaged and my range of motion is limited. I have joint pain but, due to stomach issues, I avoid pain meds. I live alone. I have an aide who helps me 1 day a week with basic needs. I have one sister and one brother both older than me. Parents have passed.

In 2016 I had gallbladder surgery. Since then I have had cdiff 4 times. I was on vancomycin 3 different times. I am currently on Dificid, 6 days in. I am also taking VSL3. Stomach was ok on Dificid for the first few days, but now am getting some diarrhea.

This probably sounds like a million other posts to this site. But I'll say it anyway. I am at the end of my rope with this. I am driving myself crazy bleaching everything in my apartment.

I hope this question doesn't get too TMI for anyone. At this point i am beyond the point of embarrassment.

As mentioned above, i am severely disabled from RA. I sit on a shower bench in the shower and i use a couple long handed tools to wash. I also use a long-handled tool to wipe after using the toilet. After my last cdiff infection, i bought all new shower tools and replaced the wiping tool. (Replaced the wiping tool every time I've had cdiff.) After each use of wiping tool, I clean it with plenty of soap and water and then i clean it with these Clorox bleach Germicidal Wipes. After each shower, i bleach the shower bench.

I also used the Clorox bleach Germicidal Wipes (which claim to kill cdiff in 3 min) and have wiped down remotes and surfaces all around my apartment.

Is it possible i could be recontaminating myself somehow? Can cdiff reinfect anally? In other words, could it still be on the shower bench and somehow sneaking back into my colon? This may sound ridiculous but as I said I am driving myself crazy. I can't get rid of cdiff!

After every treatment i test negative, then within 8 weeks or so it comes back. I am at a loss. I have IBS so I don't eat a lot of vegetables. my diet is poor. I eat a lot of rice. I do take vitamins. I don't leave the house because i am afraid of having an accident.

Is there any hope for me?

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be so welcome. I have been through many hells in my life. this is one hell that just won't go away.
Thank you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is it possible to recontaminate yourself? I'm bleaching everything!

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello Chris and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I had to wonder reading your history at what point you were retested for CDIFF after treatment? I ask because most GI's do not retest after treatment, it becomes a wait and see. I am an example of this After Flagyl I did not test, but D came back 3 weeks later along with all CDIFF symptoms and then I was tested and it was PCR Positive. This also went on and on for me, 1 round of Vanco. Returned in two weeks and then 3 months of Vanco taper.
Still NO testing. Symptoms returned 2-3 weeks after that, onto Dificid. I was no reinfecting myself, I just could not get rid of it.

That is why I am asking, could it be you tested negative because you had finished the medication, even 2 weeks out can give you a false negative.

Sometimes it takes awhile to get rid of this. I would eventually have to go on a long DIficid taper and finally got rid of it. Now, there are lots of GI's who do FMT and that is always an option for you.

If you are using bleach to clean everything, that is the gold standard, That is why I question if you actually were "negative" during those tests.

Also, I never felt well on Dificid...at all. BM's were all over the place during the time I took and and a good year after. I am nearly out 3 years and still have IBS.

Are you seeing a GI or ID? I also take VSL#3 and it has worked well for me

Hopefully the Difcid will take care of this for you !

NanciT

ChrisF
Brand New Poster

Postby ChrisF » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Thank you for your reply, NanciT.

Its funny you mention that. Family members and friends have wondered if it was really 'gone' all those times, possibly a false negative. It was my previous GI doctor who would get me to retest maybe a week or so after finishing Vanco. I never knew you could get a false negative with Cdiff. Maybe you are right. The only reason i thought the negative results were accurate because i usually felt pretty good...for a little while, anyway. My current GI doc is taking a different approach and asking me to hold off retesting. Maybe I had a bad doc. lol!

Dificid is an odd medicine. I was constipated then switched to D in the last day or so. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. But if you believe bleaching is the right idea, then I will keep doing it if that's what it takes. After my last bout with cdiff, i was still bleaching for about a month then, believing it was gone, I stopped bleaching and switched to non-bleach cleaning supplies. Perhaps I'll stick with bleach.

I did the gradual step-down with Vanco. Didn't know there was a similar step-down option with Dificid. My current GI doc wants to go with the FMT next, which I am not looking forward to because of the prep rakes so much out of me (no pun intended) and then what if it comes back again?! They say it has a 90%+ cure rate but I am not even sure my insurance will pay for it.

I'm losing my mind over this. It is comforting to know that I am not alone. Thanks again. I hope the Dificid works, as it has worked for you. Fingers crossed. Praying, too.

I'm glad this message board exists. I'll be checking back!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Glad to hear you are with a new GI who is NOT testing, it can really get people into a bad cycle. Look under CDI and there are a few DIficid tapers there. Since you are on it, call your GI and see if he would consider a taper. It is possible you will get rid of it!! I would push for that.

Symptoms can be all over the place while on Dificid and when you do get off it. I never did test, only a year out after having symptoms for several days and thankfully it was negative.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”