Wondering if I have strep throat, still on vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Wondering if I have strep throat, still on vanco

Postby MrsM25 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Hello! So, I’m currently taking vanco 250mg 4x a day and I am scheduled for FMT on 1/5/18. This is my third round of vanco. Everything is well on the vanco, I just relapse very quickly when coming off of it which is why I am having FMT done. Anyway, for the past week, I have been sick. I have a terrible sore throat and I’m so worried it’s strep throat. I’ve had it before. Both of my kids are sick too. My son is 4 and my daughter is 18 months. I’ve been debating on if I should go get a rapid strep test done or not. Has anyone not been treated for strep and does it go away on its own? Or do I need an antibiotic to rid it? I’m also scared that if my kids get put onto an antibiotic too for strep (if they would test positive), then they would be put at risk for acquiring cdiff since I am still in the process of getting mine to go away. So many worries with c diff. Any personal experience would be great. Thanks!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Wondering if I have strep throat, still on vanco

Postby MKW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi, as a disclaimer I have no medical training, etc. But I do think you just need to find out ASAP. In my experience I have always had a fever with strep btw. I do know people can be treated with other antibiotics while on Vanco. Strep can resolve on it’s own, even though it seems all doctors immediately put a person on antiobiotics with a positive strep test. What you don’t want to risk is unresolved strep when it comes FMT time, and end up needing an antibiotic after that. ... it is such an awful time of year for so many viruses. Colds, stomach flus, the seasonal flu... I’m in Virginia and it seems like at least half of everybody is sick with something right now!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 pm

I would get it checked out. They won't do any procedure on you if you have an infection( other than CDIFF) Consult with your GI , he has you scheduled for the procedure and if you are not well they cannot proceed. He should also be able to advise as far as if you do have a throat infection.

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 pm

The highest my temp has gotten is 99.2. My symptoms basically are sore throat, unrelenting cough. It started out dry but has become more productive. Runny/stuffy nose, sneezing. My husband was sick first and then both of my kids and I got it at the same time. The kids have the same sort of deal. Runny nose, wet cough, stuffy, sneezing. They both got a little bit of a pink eye thing too which is what makes me think it’s more viral, not bacterial. It’s been a week. I’m trying to just see how it goes. Last year my daughter got RSV and she was in the hospital. It almost seems very similar to that with her but she is a year older and not struggling as much to breath as she was a year ago fighting it. I didn’t get it when she had it last time so I can’t compare. I have been looking in my mouth and haven’t seen any of the very distinctive white patches. I haven’t seen anything like that in the kids throats either but it’s so hard to see in there for very long.

MKW, I live in PA so it’s pretty similar around here right now! Not fun.

NanciT, I called my GI today and he wasn’t in so the nurse left a message for him. One of his partners was there and he said he can’t tell me what to do because he’s not a primary care doctor. So, I guess that means go see your primary care doctor. I just feel like any time I go to my primary doctor, he will give me an antibiotic and I really would rather know for sure instead of blindly taking an antibiotic. I don’t know if they do the rapid strep test there or not. Ugh, I don’t know. My husband is doing better now. He is a week ahead of me with it. I just want to go longer then a month feeling semi healthy. I don’t think I’ve felt great since June. July was the start of everything when my old root canal/crowned tooth abscessed and I had to have it pulled. Ever since then, it’s been one thing after another and several antibiotics and then cdiff. Hoping 2018 is a better year! I’m done rambling.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:16 pm

The On Call GI will often refer to PCP, your GI who has you scheduled for a procedure would probably have advice for you. Not sure when he is getting back but check back with his nurse if you don"t improve.

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:57 am

I had a bad sore throat and lost my voice at the beginning of November. I went to Urgent Care and they did a rapid strep that was negative. They did not even suggest antibiotics and the cost was cheaper than seeing my PCP.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 am

Well, I woke up this morning and I feel like my throat doesn’t hurt as bad but I’m a little bit stuffier. Still have a cough. Thinking now that it’s not strep, probably viral. Hopefully I’m recovered by the time I’m to go for my FMT.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”