mirtazapine and cdiff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)

mirtazapine and cdiff?

Postby posta » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 pm

hello to you all,
i just found some article on the connection between mirtazapine and cdiff and i freaked out!
i’ve been taking it for the past 7 years, bedtime, super small dosage (less then 5mg which is 1/8 of 30mg tablet) and i need it for sleep with 0.25mg of klonopin.
did anyone took it while treating cdiff and is it really the factor to determine relapse odds?
i dont think i can stop mirtazapine and even though we’re talking baby dosage here, im really worried now it will bring relapse on me. any kind of your experience or suggestion will be helpfull here so thank you in advance.
hate this super paranoid state i am in. in other news - pushing through 9th day of vanco, 5 more to go. feeling well, knock on wood, BM is twice a day, formed, even though some light cramps give me suspicious minds whether this will turn out the right way. i am doing all i can to heal, introduced manuka honey yesterday, doing boulardii, coconut oil, even started eating some small portions of meat.
but, mirtazapine issue is now stucked in my head:((
thanks for being there and helping.
xx

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: mirtazapine and cdiff?

Postby AllisS » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Your question piqued my curiosity so I did a quick Google search for mirtazapine (brand name, Remeron) and c. diff. The articles mentioning an association between the two are on reputable sites, so maybe there's something to it. Then again, maybe there isn't; association isn't the same as cause and effect. I refused this same drug when it was recommended to me by a couple of doctors some years ago; my qualms had nothing to do with c. diff, which I hadn't even had at the time, but rather with other of the drug's potentially worrisome side-effects. Like you, I take a small dose of Klonopin to help with sleep, and that drug's not gotten great press recently, either, with some studies showing a possible link to Alzheimer's.

All of that said, unless one is never going to take any drugs, other than, perhaps, if it's a life-or-death situation, there are always going to be potential risks. I've managed to get off of Klonopin before and will probably give another try at doing so again. If I don't succeed, then I'll continue to take my low dose and hope for the best. If you were to experiment with stopping either the Remeron or the Klonopin, you'd want to do so under the direction of a doctor despite your low dosages, perhaps using a taper method rather than stopping cold turkey.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm

There is no REAL evidence that Mirtazapine (or Prozac ) is linked to Cdiff , is just a study made in 2013 but nothing else. I have freaked out too when i read it and came off Mirtazapine and made the worst mistake of my life , really bad withraw symptoms , and relapses still happened months later. At least with Mirtazapine i had the greatest sleep , since i came off of it i couldn't find nothing great to help my insomnia. Also , i know more people that are on both PRozac and Mirtazapine some posted here on this site , some on facebook , all of them are cured of Cdiff and doing great.

Postby posta » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 am

guys, thank you so much for your opinions and experiences.
georgina, you always make me feel better.
i skipped my baby dosage remeron for one night but took it last evening. dont think i can manage sleep without it and i think i need to sleep as much and as normal as possible these days.
i have three more days of vanco and then waiting to see how things will work out for me.
i am a bit scared and i am anxious when thinking about going off vanco, especially with all those stories of relapse. in the past 10 days i almost completely returned to normal eating (no sugar though and nothing greasy, no junk food, no processed food, no dairy), i can tell my bowels are a bit sensitive, but think that my nervous thoughts contribute to that sensitivity. BM is regular, but more often then usual. i am also building up on probiotics, manuka honey, coconut oil, oregano oil... i know i am obsessing with all this but this was such a scary experience and it took me completely out of my normal life, work, meeting friends... this forum is such a precious place for support and help, it really helped me through this past few weeks incredibly.
xx

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:32 am

Take it easy on the oils. Oils are a natural laxative and too much of them will ......
Try not to obsess too much about your stool. There may be a new pattern during recovery or for a long time afterwards and that is normal. Your anxiety will alter that as you know, so just take it as it comes and be happy that so far so good, and the vast majority of people are cured after the first or at worst worst, second, course of meds.

Btw, I use klonopin for sleep now and then for several years and am fine.

Good luck,
Rita

Ipouto
Brand New Poster

Postby Ipouto » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 am

It's a very good story. I hope you can sleep without having to take any medicine.

ATobin
Brand New Poster

Postby ATobin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 am

Very interesting. I have been on Mirtazapine for probably about 10 years - my GI prescribed it for depression w/ anxiety. I couldn't tolerate other medications and Remron was good with my GI symptoms (I have crohn's disease). I have tried to get off the meds but had too much anxiety due to withdrawals. Currently I am taking 7.5mg twice a week (Sunday and Wednesday nights) and that seems to work for me. I highly doubt my CDiff case is related to this med (I hope). I am about a month off of Vanco and I am currently taking Florastor 2xs a day. I still have anxiety about having a relapse so I am watching very closely.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”