relapse experiences?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)

relapse experiences?

Postby posta » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 pm

i know it is not the best way of thinking, i should be all positive and hopefull, but i cant help but thinking that once im done with vanco (first round, 14 days, today is my 8th) i will fall into relapse - i just cant find any story about people getting well after just one round of meds!
so, i was hoping some of you can share some of your experiences with relapses - does it tend to be more intense then the first cdiff breakout, how long into relapse before you start meds again, whats the routine...
i am so so so scared of this, even though i did not have any dramatic experience by now, just D and bad cramping for 3-4 days before diagnosed i just cant bear the idea of slipping down that ugly road again.
whats worse, i am finishing my vanco round on december 20th so if i am to relapse, it might happen during the holidays and where i live it is pretty difficult to get medical care during the holidays :(
do forgive my defetist and a bit neurotic attitude with all this, it just caught me by surprise and since i wasnt feeling well since september (hence multiple antibiotics hence c diff in the end) i am just worried that my immunity is pretty compromised and i am afraid i just dont have what it takes to kill this bug with my first shot :(
thank you for all your replies and help, wish you all good health, x

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: relapse experiences?

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 pm

I know how difficult it can be and scary. We have had many posters who do well with one round of medication. Sometimes they can have post IBS after, but not CDIFF. Give yourself time to recover and try to think positive. Also, even through the holidays the ER IS OPEN 24/7. I ended up there many times and had great care throughout this so do know there is help just in case.

The gut does effect our mental health and recovery can take time.

Take Care

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

That vast majority get well with one round of meds and have no need to seek out a support site.
You only read the worst cases on here.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Knock on wood, I believed I was cured with two rounds, I say two rounds cause I couldn't tolerate the metronidazole and by day 9 I finally got it switched to vancomycin and was able to finish it, and thanks to whoever is above and my gut, I believe in recovery. It diffantly did and still does play with my mind. I still have scares, but I had 2 positive test at the beginning, and have had 4 pcr negative tests and and negative gdh test. Hopefully you'll be one of the ones that only needed one round!
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi! Roy is right. Most people don’t start searching online about a short term medical problem that is quickly resolved, so don’t tend to post here unless they’ve had severe symptoms or unusual circumstances or at least a recurrence. I can tell you though I have seen plenty of posters that were first time cases and were cured with one round of meds. It means nothing since my memory isn’t real evidence but... I have noticed many of those successes were people treated the first time with 14 days of Vanco. In my case I felt like Flagyl took me from bad to worse. So I think you should be very hopeful. Chances of success for you are high! People take a lot of probiotics which is great but also remember you need good fiber and prebiotic foods following this to help your good flora rebuild.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”