Think this is my first relapse

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amb66
New User

Think this is my first relapse

Postby Amb66 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 am

Hi everyone, Amber here again (23 yo female) I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving (for those who celebrate)! Unfortunately I find myself back here with what I truly believe to be my first relapse. I have been off the vanco for just over 3 weeks and have noticed my stomach really acting up. I've been running to the bathroom more and had WD for a couple of days now. I am also dealing with a cold so I know I am swallowing a lot of phlegm which could account for some of the upset but I have to believe this is a relapse. Thoughts? I was so hopeful that one round of vanco would be all I needed but after getting up every 1-2 hours last night to go to the bathroom that hope is crushed. I can't get in to see my GI for 4 weeks, any suggestions on what to do from here? I was diagnosed in the hospital last time so I haven't even been to that GIs office yet. I'm so disheartened and scared again so any help would be great. Thank you <3

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Think this is my first relapse

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi Amber - The only way that you will be able to tell if this is a relapse is by getting tested. You could try calling the GI's office and seeing if they will give you an order for a test. If not, then you will have to go to Urgent Care, ER or contact another doctor that you have to see if they will order the test. 3 weeks is about the time frame when I used to relapse.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi Amber,

You say "your GI". Is it a doc you've seen already? If so, maybe you can call the office and describe your symptoms and they can advise you that way or perhaps call in a prescription if indicated.

What you are describing sounds like it's worse than a day or two ago. It could be a relapse. Do you have other symptoms that go along with how you felt during the first time? I know having a cold at the same time can confuse things too.

After my daughter's first visit, our doctor did not test each time but went by symptoms and a couple of times just called in a prescription for us.

Maybe you can also inquire about Dificid?

Amb66
New User

Postby Amb66 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi Beth, thanks for the response! When you say they may call in a test, what do you mean by that? Like would I have to go to the office or how does that work? I’m so nervous it’s going to be a long drawn out process to get treatment started and back on track.

Also, did I do something wrong to cause a relapse? I’ve been trying to eat right, took probiotics and I’ve been washing my hands obsessively so I don’t know what more I could have done.

Hi Amg, yeah I saw my GI sun the hospital while I was there for a week. However oddly enough, he wasn’t the one to write my prescription for Vanco, my primary doctor at the hospital did that. As far as symptoms unfortunately they’ve gotten worse and I’m fully remembering just what cdiff was like the first time around. I’m running to the bathroom all the time with WD and can tell I’m starting to get dehydrated (I’m trying to drink lots of water now that I know what’s happening). I’m also quite achy and think I may have a fever so it’s screaming that it’s back to me. I’m hopeful that I can get a prescription fast to stop this beast before it gets terrible again.

May I ask what your thoughts are on dificid? I’m not familiar with that medicine. I felt like things went so great with the vanco and despite my IBS I was sure I was on the road to recovery.

Thank you so much guys, I don’t know what I’d do without you

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Dificid is an excellent medication and often given if a patient fails on Vanco. You did not so anything to relapse, it can often take a few rounds of medication to beat this so please don't blame yourself.

If you have a GI, call him and explain the D has come back you how you are feeling. Make sure you drink "smart water" which has electrolytes in it.

I hope you are able to get hold of the GI soon, make sure to let them know how often you are running to the bathroom and also the fever! If you get no response, don't hesitate going to the ER

NanciT

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 am

Sorry, Amber, I just replied to your PM, but I hadn't seen this before I replied. I'm so sorry you're getting sicker. It's not your fault!

It does sound like you need treatment ASAP. I would try calling your GI doc right now and ask to speak to the doc on call. Hopefully it's the one who treated you. If not, you can tell them Dr. So and So treated you 3 weeks ago in the hospital for c diff, and now you're pretty sure you're relapsing and need another course of treatment. In my daughter's case, the doc called in a prescription to our pharmacy. Be sure you have the pharmacy number handy if you speak to a doc. And in my daughter's case, one time he emailed us the lab slip to get a stool sample in before beginning treatment, but for subsequent relapses they only went by symptoms.

I explained the Dificid stuff in your PM

And yes, like Nanci said, judging by your symptoms, if you can't reach a doc, please consider going to the ER.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:43 am

Sorry you are relapsing Amber and like others said , NO you didn't do anything wrong , don't blame yourself , Cdiff is a relapsing disease. Hope you can get Dificid , great drug , a long course of Dificid might do the trick.

Amb66
New User

Postby Amb66 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

I finally got a test and the results today. It’s a relapse. I’m super bummed but trying to stay positive. I’m getting more Vanco for 15 days so we’ll see how that goes. Any tips on food/when to take probiotics or Tylenol if I have a headache? Thanks everybody, I’m glad I didn’t wait longer.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”