Can someone help decipher test results

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ae123
New User

Can someone help decipher test results

Postby Ae123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 pm

So, my test results are saying:

"This sample initially tested POSITIVE for clostridium difficle GDH Antigen EIA.
This sample was confirmed NEGATIVE for clostridium difficle by molecular testing"

I've been suffering from debilitating fatigue, sometimes it feels like I have sand in my eyes and have no interest in doing anything/activities. I was ok while taking Vanco in September for the cdiff so I'm worried as to why I feel like this after 2 months of being cdiff free.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Can someone help decipher test results

Postby amg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi there,

Here's an explanation for the testing:

https://labtestsonline.org/understandin ... /tab/test/

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Hmmm I guess I don't understand, if I just tested positive for the DNA or toxins? But then ruled negative by another test.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:15 pm

The first test was the antigen test to test for the presence of c diff - both the toxin producing and non-toxin producing strains. It's like an initial screening test. That was positive but didn't mean you were infected with a toxin producing strain.

If the antigen test is positive, then they go to a more sensitive and expensive test which detects the toxin. (The toxin is what the bad c diff produces which inflames the colon.) That is what it seems your testing was. Your toxin test was negative.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”