Post c diff recovery help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Post c diff recovery help

Postby amg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Bob, you have posted here that you're doing so well after the Dificid, and in fact you've said you feel better than you did even before c diff. I'm curious why it would be recommended that you have a colonoscopy. (unless routine for cancer screening, of course)

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:34 pm

amg, It was a routine checkup and physical. I have a new general practitioner and needed prescriptions renewed.

For years, each time I've gone in there they've suggested a cancer screening colonoscopy. Had nothing to do with my C-diff problems. They were also interested in getting me on statins, even though I consider my cholesterol levels acceptable considering that I eat four eggs a day, 8 slices of cheese, and vats of extra virgin olive oil, all of which contain saturated fats.

If they want to run tests on me, do an electrocardiogram to see if C-diff had any effect on my damaged heart. Hmmm!? I might request one next time.

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm

I too, have had negative cdiff tests, and am now suffering from debilitating fatigue, where I have very brief moments of feeling like I might pass out. I have a doctors appointment Thursday, and will be requesting a heap of tests to figure out what's going on

Aoifexx2
New User

Postby Aoifexx2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same. It's crippling! I'll be doing the same and hopefully we can get somewhere. Would love to hear how you get on if you have time to update I will do the same! Fingers crossed

Aoifexx2
New User

Postby Aoifexx2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi all,

I took your advice and saw a gi today. I'm 2 weeks clear at the moment and still having a lot of symptoms (d has calmed down) but bm still just very soft. Anyway I told the gi that I was nauseous soft stools constant stomach noise and urge to go with abdominal pain and bloating the cones and goes. He wants to do a colonoscopy next week advised that is my only way to get answers. I advised him I had heard that colonoscopys can bring on relapse through the prep as it interferes with gut flora he told me that is not correct all it does is remove stool.

I was looking for some advice I really don't know what to do.

Thanks all

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 pm

I would consult another GI with expertise in c diff.

I had the exact symptoms in recovery and a very smart - and patient- GI who reassured me, as did people here, that I should wait out the nausea, poor appetite and soft stools and if I did not have d it was likely PI IBS. We call it watch, worry and wait. There are a lot of suggestions about how to treat those symptoms and I think we gave you some. My GI also wanted to do a colonoscopy to rule out that I have developed anything else during c diff but without any drastic symptoms he willingly agreed with me to wait 8 or 9 months.

Of course in the end it is up to you. We can’t give medical advice. I can only tell you what I would do based on my knowledge, experience and opinion.

Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:23 am

A routine colonoscopy is best to be postponed until things calm down in your gut otherwise so soon after treatment it's more then likely to get a full blown relapse because of the cleanse that will definitely create more unbalance in the gut flora.If he really wants to see what happens inside , discuss with him about doing a flexible rectosigmoidoscopy that doen't require ANY prep just liquid diet a day before the procedure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”