Finished Meds....now what?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Finished Meds....now what?

Postby amg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm

It could show up a couple weeks after stopping Flagyl. But you could also have a virus or strep throat or something. I know a lot on this site complain of catching colds and other viruses more frequently right after c diff. Which makes sense - your body is weaker and your immune system is probably not as effective.

Are you hydrating enough? Being under-hydrated can cause hard stool and constipation. Are you eating some fruit? The BRAT type diet can be constipating, too.

I'm not sure what to say about your other symptoms other than if you're getting sicker, you need to see a doctor. I hope you feel better!
Last edited by amg on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:56 pm

I've been eating cereal and almond milk, chicken Alfredo, and sandwiches. No fruit. Bananas give me heartburn. My son, boyfriend, and dad haven't caught it, thank goodness, I'm cleaning the toilet after every use, I haven't had diarrhea in awhile, but I'm super worried I'm missing something. Im worried I'll relapse, I don't understand the spore concept, are they only there if there's diarrhea? Are spores only left if if there is fecal matter left behind? Does it grow or just stay in the spot that's been touched. Sorry for all the questions!!!
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

barbie13
New User

Postby barbie13 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi All!! Whelp, 4 weeks after finishing meds I re-tested and my GI called me today saying I'm all clear and "cured". I couldn't be happier!! It is kind of ironic that after I submitted my re-test Thursday, I started having D on Sunday. I cannot even tell you how worried that made me, so when the GI left me that voicemail today I was a little surprised and at the same time relieved.

I hope that I can leave this all behind me now. I realize that there are so many extreme bouts with c diff and I truly wish everyone here the best of luck in your fight. I am not leaving this forum, as I feel I still have much to learn.

Have a good night all!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 am

Casper
Spores live inside the body indeterminate and the only thing that will stop them from regerminate and recolonize is your good flora. The spores usually are standing there dormant waiting for a chance to be reawakened , usually that happens after a course of antibiotics. Spores have a special "coating" named biofilm that make them impermeable to antibiotics so as you can imagine the Vanco does nothing against them , vanco only kills the active bacteria once it's sprouted from the seed . Most doctors say that once the active D stopped then amount of spores that is shedded is very very small and unable to contaminate other pearsons , don't know if that is true so I prefer to disinfect my toilet exactly like I was doing when I was having the D with bleach/water solution after each BM , better to be safe then sorry.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”