Relapse after 10 mos?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
KLor
Contributor

Relapse after 10 mos?

Postby KLor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi everyone,

10 mos. off of Dificid and seemingly c. diff-free. Have had PI-IBS, but it's been getting steadily better and I've been tolerating more foods.

Over the last week, though, I have been nauseous every single day; much more frequent and discolored Bristol 5s (3-4 times/day); and just generally feeling unwell. One dose of Pepto does control the BMs for 2 days at a time, but they always come back and I'm still concerned about these symptoms--it's been going on longer than a typical virus, and I haven't consumed any trigger foods.

I'm wondering what some other c. diff veterans might do in this case. It's not frank WD, so do I test for c. diff? Are there other possibilities for what I'm experiencing? Just confused and concerned, so I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
K

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse after 10 mos?

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:19 pm

If you test, test for everything like parasites, other bacteria and c diff.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi, I have been c Diff free for 8 months since a successful FMT. I think we all fear spontaneous relapse no matter how statistically unlikely. C Diff is a living nightmare for sure. Anytime we have possible symptoms we responsibly need to consider testing if warranted. So sounds like your symptoms are vague at this point. The watery D three times a day for three days is good to go by, but we all know that many have atypical symptoms. (More lately it seems). For me the defining trait of relapse vs ibs symptoms is that the symptoms become progressively worse, and are not stable.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 am

3-4 BM per day that are not D does not sound like Cdiff , it sounds more like IBS, color doesn't mean anything unless it's black tarry. Foods are not the only triggers for IBS flares , stress and anxiety can also be a trigger. Of course , for a peace of mind you can test , but I'm almost sure it will come back negative.

KLor
Contributor

Postby KLor » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:05 pm

I appreciate all of your thoughts, thank you. I can tell something beyond IBS is wrong, because I am getting progressively worse and having some weakness, fatigue, low-grade fever now. I submitted a sample for c. diff test, and my GI and I decided that we'll test for everything else if it comes back negative. Still so glad this community exists, even if I'm not glad it *has* to exist. Thank you.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Good you are getting tested then. Sounds like you have a decent doctor. You are lucky!!! Keep us posted on how you are doing :-)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”