Treating Thrush

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
barbie13
New User

Treating Thrush

Postby barbie13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 pm

I called my PCP office today because i think i may be getting thrush. Of couse I was told I have to come in. I did not make an appointment. Way too many appointments lately! Is it ok for me to take fluconazole when I am on my 7th day of flagyl? Or is there another alternative for treating thrush? My to the is white and fuzzy and producing extra phlegm which is annoying. Ugh!

Mindy
Regular User

Re: Treating Thrush

Postby Mindy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:07 pm

I thought I had thrush while on Flagyl as well. I was treated with two different rinses without resolve. It's actually called furry tongue. Put furry tongue Flagyl in Google and you will see. It's been two years and it FINALLY returned almost normal about a year ago.

I found Flagyl too harsh but did do 14 days of it. Unfortunately, I relapsed 3 weeks later, did Vanco then FMT. Hope this helps.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm

The best home remedy for thrush is salt rinse and even better coconut oil. Look up oil pulling with coconut oil for thrush online. I had horrible episodes of thrush throughout my c Diff recurrences. It was initially caused by my second round of Flagyl. I received a lot of incompetent medical care my first few months with c Diff, and care for my thrush was equally as negligent as care for my c Diff. I was given Nystatin and then tried the oral lozenges. These did not work for me! It took 7 days of Diflucan to get rid of it. But then it came back... and then it came back... etc. I finally totally got rid of it after my FMT in March. It was like the FMT cured that too.

barbie13
New User

Postby barbie13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Thank you both so much. I will be very happy when I finish my 10th and final day. It sounds like many do more than 10 days though. I have a fluconazole 1 day treatment in my cabinet that I can take if needed. Let's see how I feel tomorrow! My tongue has driven me absolutely crazy today with the fuzzy feeling and the mucous buildup. Ew!! I actually just made a mouth rinse with baking soda and water to gargle with and I do believe the fuzzy feeling is gone....wow!!! It feels way better, even though I think the mucousy feeling is still there but one out of two is not bad!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Not sure why the hesitation about taking fluconazole for thrush. I took it for same reason (thrush caused by Flagyl), without incident. Probably more effective than the home remedy.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 am

Most of us that took Flagyl had to deal with thrush while on it ,just a few of us treated the thrush. Once the course of Flagyl is finished the thrush subsides.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 am

I did not treat the thrush, and when the flagyl was out of my system, it went away. It is quite annoying though. Flagyl was the worst for me! I swore I would never take it again, unless it was life or death. It made me sicker than the c-diff, and did not cure me. If you need to treat again, push for Dificid or vanco.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 am

One aspect of taking Diflucan that could be negative is that it would have a systemic effect and kill off good yeast, furthering dysbiosis in your GI tract. So maybe just seeing if it goes away after the Flagyl would be your best bet. Also, Candida loves sugar. So if you have any signs of thrush cut out as much sugar as possible.

barbie13
New User

Postby barbie13 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 pm

That is awesome information, thank you. The baking powder is helping a lot. I brushed my tongue with it this morning. I woke with a green tongue...ick!! I am not going to add any more meds into the mix!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Flagyl -- the gift that keeps on giving.

barbie13
New User

Postby barbie13 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:49 pm

lol amg, I'm learning. Not that I want to. But, I am so grateful to have found this site!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”