Early recovery=lower chance of relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
slplkaye
Regular User

Early recovery=lower chance of relapse?

Postby slplkaye » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:32 am

I am currently on day four of vancomycin and feel great. I haven't had any diarrhea for two days. Is there any evidence that early resolution of symptoms correlates to a lower chance of relapse?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Early recovery=lower chance of relapse?

Postby NanciT » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

First I want to say that is GREAT you are feeling so well! I don't know of any research that goes into if a patient does well on a medication if they will relapse.
On the site, some continue to have symptoms while on Vanco.
My experience was I did not have symptoms, felt fine and was eating well until I was off the Vanco. The first time I relapsed after 2 weeks. It's tough to say but I think it's a good start that you are feeling well
I am not sure there is any way to predict until you are off the medication for some time.

Wishing you continued wellness!

NanciT

slplkaye
Regular User

Postby slplkaye » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:39 am

Thank you. This is the first time I've ever had c diff. It happened after a course of Clindamycin. I'm only 35 and have two small children. We are scheduled to leave for a family vacation the day after Thanksgiving. Not only am I concerned about giving c diff to my children at home, I am wondering whether I should cancel our trip due to my concerns of a relapse and sharing a bathroom with them while on vacation. Admittedly, I had major health anxiety before my c diff diagnosis, and this has thrown it into major overdrive.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 am

I understand the anxiety it can cause. We have had so many people on the site and we all worry about passing this along but with precautions its possible not to do that. It sounds like you are taking all precautions.
The trip is something that is difficult to comment on. Some go on the trips planned as usual and do well. For me, I cancelled two years in a row due to relapse. It is very individual.
You may continue to feel well when done with Vanco, try and focus on that. The worry causes us to feel so much worse. You mentioned you are feeling really well.......go with that!! We have had several on the site who take one round of medication and do NOT relapse!
It sounds like you have some time. Try and focus on completing the medication and moving forward with plans.
Sending positive thoughts
NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:23 am

slplkaye, you might improve your chances for success by building up the protective bacteria in your gut by taking kefir and/or probiotics.

I felt great while taking vancomycin and my health issues improved. I also took a bunch of probiotics while taking vancomycin. I thought that I was cured, only to feel worse when I started to get off of it.

I then started a 10 day prescription of dificid and continued the probiotics and also added 25 billion cells of Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii.

I am now 42 days after the dificid and just feel great. I feel much younger than my 73 years. I continue taking the probiotics.

That said... I don't know how much the probiotics are helping, or have helped. Have no idea. I relapsed twice after feeling great, and doing great on vancomycin. Hopefully, you will not relapse and continue to feel great and do great!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:40 am

The first time I had C diff I had planned a trip to Cancun, Mexico. I relapsed just before, but took the vanco along and had a good trip. I had many relapses, but with the exception of one time when I wound up in ER, I always traveled and took vanco along with me in case I needed it. My doctor was always good about filling the prescription and I actually never did need to use it, but I felt more at ease having it with me.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”