Is this normal?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
slplkaye
Regular User

Is this normal?

Postby slplkaye » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm

I started taking Vancomycin on Wednesday. Yesterday, I felt great. I only had two bowel movements and they were much more formed than the 20+ daily that I was having prior to starting meds. Today, I am having some minor cramping, major gas, and I am a little queasy. My bms are more formed today, but still loose. Does Vancomycin cause cramping and nausea? If so, how do I know if I'm just having side effects from vancomycin or if my c diff is not improving? I am taking Florastor (two capsules twice a day) as well. I am trying to tell myself that I am going to be in the majority of people that get rid of c diff after one course of antibiotic, but it's just so hard when I keep reading these horribly sad stories of people that have suffered so long. I am so thankful for this group. You all are so helpful!

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Re: Is this normal?

Postby Jill79 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Slplkaye,

The fact that you've gone from 20+ movements to 2 more solid movements a day is obviously an improvement. You've only been on the Vanco for a few days. Unfortunately you may not feel back to "normal" for a while, even after treatment and no longer having an active infection.

From diagnosis to end of treatment and negative test was only 3 months for me after one relapse, however I still had residual nausea, cramping, bloating and a very sensitive GI tract for over 6 months so naturally I didn't feel well while I was on Vanco. I'm almost at the 14 month post C. Diff and I still have bad days depending on what I eat.

You sound like you are doing everything you can at the moment with the Vanco and probiotics. Just eat bland and see your doctor about antispasmodics and anti-nausea meds if your cramping and nausea is severe.

Wishing you improved health,

-Jill

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:59 am

Vanco did give me nsusea, but it subsided. Flora story gave me major gas.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 am

As long as you are not having watery D more than 3 times per day with the urgency to go, the meds are working. I had nausea throughout my c-diff ordeal, as well as in recovery. Most people do not go back to how they were prior to c-diff for quite some time. I actually had a new normal after c-diff. It took me 8 months to have just 1-2 BMs per day, and suffered with PI-IBS for quite some time. It sounds like you are definitely getting better. I relapsed two weeks after taking Flagyl. I was put back on Flagyl, but could not tolerate it at all, so was switched to a 14 day course of Vanco. The vanco did cure me. I experienced exactly what you described.

Lisa

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 am

Even if you are responding to treatment , you cannot feel 100% normal , your gut remains irritated and the only thing that will heal it is time. Also , watch what you eat , if you are not keeping a diet you will experince a lot of abdominal discomfort , try to eat very bland foods and slowly add more foods back into your diet , one new food at the time.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”