Clindamycin Fear of CDiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
leahnc
Brand New Poster

Clindamycin Fear of CDiff

Postby leahnc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi. This is my first post. I just joined and am learning a lot about this terrible infection! I’ve never had it and now am concerned I may get it? I want to be proactive and learn what I can.

So my dentist prescribed me Clindamycin 300mg 4xs daily for 10 days. I woke up with a little bubble on my gum yesterday and dentist called in the Clindamycin medication without even seeing me? I had been in 3 to 4 times this month for some teeth pain so I’m not surprised she just called it in? She referred me to an endodontist for some pain I’ve been having.

Ironically I had my referral appointment today with the endodontist and he told me the bubble is either a gingival abscess or similar abscess from food particles or an irritation? The bubble is already smaller? He said keep taking the antibiotics. I already feel better after just one day on this medication but still extremely concerned about my colon health! I am taking the probiotic Florastor 2xs daily, eating yogurt, bought kefir and some fermented foods. I’m really trying to stay on top of my GI health while on this antibiotic I’m terrified of getting c diff from this medication!

Is there anything additional I can do to keep my colon healthy during and after taking this antibiotic. Are my chances less since I’m overall healthy and never had it before? Thank you kindly!!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Clindamycin Fear of CDiff

Postby AllisS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi leah, you're smart to be proactive when it comes to C. diff. Clindamycin happens to be the top-offending antibiotic when it comes to contracting C. diff. (It's how I and many others on the site got the illness.) Since this is a support site only, we cannot give medical advice. That said, if it were me, I wouldn't take the clindamycin. I'd ask the endodontist to switch me to another antibiotic. Again, not being medical practitioners, none of us are able to tell you if your abscess or gum irritation might resolve spontaneously, without antibiotics. In general, what the endodontist said about not discontinuing a course of antibiotics before it's finished is good advice, as whatever the antibiotic is being used to treat could then return in more treatment-resistanat form. So if it were me I'd question the endodontist about whether an antibiotic was being prescribed preventively out of an abundance of caution or whether there was a compelling reason to be taking it. If the former, you'd need to make a decision as to whether to take it or not. But at very least, see about being switched to a narrower-spectrum antibiotic that could address your specific gum issue with less risk than clindamycin (though any antibiotic can cause C. diff).
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:27 am

I agree with Allis. Question endodontist ASAP.

Read the first forum. Welcome to the site.

Let us know what happens.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:34 am

Another vote AGAINST Clindamycin , is not safe in ANY form .
If you truly need to take antibiotics for your gum inflammation you should check the list of antibiotics under CDI section,print it and hand it to your doctor. There are a lot of antibiotics that are safer then Clindamycin that can be used for dental issues.

leahnc
Brand New Poster

Postby leahnc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 am

Thank you so much. I’m scared. I’m grateful for the information and advice. I’ve taken some hefty antibiotics and never had issues. I was on Cipro for 2 weeks once and had no side effects. How weird is that? This Clindamycin medication makes me feel hot inside, gives me heartburn, terrible bloating, slightly nauseated. I had one loose stool this morning (not watery) I’ve taken my Florastor and ate my yogurt. Think I’m going to add acidophilus as well.

I missed a dose last night. So far I’ve taken 6 of 40 pills since Wednesday. I called the endodontist this morning and hopefully he will call in something different. Amoxicillin or Penicillin I’m assuming? I’m waiting for his response? I do not want to take this!!!

leahnc
Brand New Poster

Postby leahnc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Endodontist said I can go off the Clindamycin. I couldn’t be happier. Hopefully my gut flora is still intact. Going to continue on Florastor and acidophilus for a long while. Thank you for the advice.

kristi11
New User

Postby kristi11 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 am

Not to be a Debby Downer but I got C Diff from taking 3 doses of Clindamycin, and it happened about 5 days after those 3 doses so just be aware and get tested if you get sick.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”